It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:46 pm 

Newbie here. But what engine do you look for? I know you need the computer and wiring harness.
Looking to do trail riding and mildly stupid stuff.
Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 pm 

At the top of the Water Cooled Engines section is a sticky with all sorts of information on the Ecotec. Tons of info available on both engines between this site and a few others. The subaru seems to take a little more work but they both have their benefits.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:22 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Todd wrote:
Newbie here.
Looking to do trail riding and mildly stupid stuff.

You will fit in just fine,lol. And a lot of w/c guys on here that just love to talk about how awesome and cheap their stuff is. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:56 pm 
WB Contributor

Yeah, The AC guys like to rib us Water cooled guys. I can't help it that I like to turn the key and drive. I tuned enough carbs in my life to warrant fuel injection. Not to mention that I burn about half the fuel the AC guys do to go the same distance. But if you like the sound of lifters and valve train you really must build a big bad stroker VW motor. I like my salvage Honda 3.2, 265 horse from the factory.

If you ask me the Echotec is the most cost effective, get a supercharged Cobalt SS and they scream.

Just a Water Cooled guys opinion. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm 

Pretty good info at this link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archiv ... 422--.html

I'm not a diehard either way. I had a 1915 VW in my last rail. I have a 2.3 Ford turbo in my current rail. I think they are all great. It's like ford vs. chevy vs. dodge vs...... You get the point. Do you have a favorite color, go that route. Water cooled requires quite a bit more equipment and sometimes weight. EFI computer of some sort, aftermarket or reflashed stock, radiator, fans, high pressure pump and filters etc. I like water cooled myself for it's modern technology, no carbs, reliablility, and cheap engines from the scrap yard. With that being said I have well over $5000 in my engine and accessories to support it. My EFI computer is right at $1200 to control it. It's only cheap if you buy a used engine, keep it mostly stock and modify your harness.

EFI controller for an Ecotec from CBM is $1000, engine at a pull apart around $500, radiator $100-300, fans $50-200, fuel pump $50-200, adapter plate around $500. It starts to add up no matter which way you go. Unless you can find really cheap parts, trade stuff you have now or have sticky fingers, it will cost you. It's a hobby and what else would our wives have to complain about if we didn't spend all the money on toys?! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:51 pm 

Cheaper fuel injection:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-128.html
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-31.html
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-44.html

This is a list of the parts required to run my fuel injected motor. A 2.2L dodge turbo that has bee running for about 4 years now trouble free.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines