It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 pm 

My brother has a buggy that's running a 2.3liter ford engine with a 4 individual port intake manifold on it with 2 Weber dual port carbs on it. It run's fine at any angle you can put it in, except going down a hill. It begins to overload and start to like flood itself out. If anyone could help in figuring out a solution with that, it would be very much appreciated.
On the other hand now, because of that problem, he wanted to get away from the carberators and go to an EFI system so that he wouldn't have that problem anymore. So, he got the fuel injection intake, wiring harness and computer off an 88 ford mustang LX model 2.3liter. Got everything installed, fuel pump, etc.,etc... and when it's sitting there at a steady idle, it begins to load up and begins to like flood itself out. He can rev it up and it'll clear up and the throttle response is there and very crisp. Very Nice! If you rev it up and hold it at a steady higher rpm it'll begin to do the same thing as if it was sitting at idle. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the fix for this? I told him he'd probably have to possibly reprogram the pcm with a programer or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 pm 

take the cover off of the ecm and look for a bad spot on the board ford had a problem with ecms from mid 80s to about 96 with componets leaking on the board it very easy to see i just replaced a 95 ford e350 ecm for the same reason it acted the same way and was throwing codes for tps o2s and map sensor map sensor may cause this issue also hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 pm 

What all did he transfer from the Mustang? Was it a turbo car? Along with the engine harness is a lot of sensors that need to be in place for fuel injection. Coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, VAM, fuel pump capable of supplying high pressure. Some 2.3 guys will "smash" the fuel regulator on the fuel rail to gain some pressure for oversized injectors. If he's running standard injectors he may be over running them with fuel. Lots of variables.

turboford.org will help you. Even if it's a non turbo they will likely know over there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 pm 

i took cover off of computer it looked very clean no damage appers. i have also put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail took the factor one off and put a gauge one the fuel rail also.still no fix . i replace the moduel on the distubtor also. i took the complete wiring harness out of the car. engine and dash harness trying to hook up as much of the harness as possible just to get it running right then i was going to cut out what i didnt need. the intake has antifreeze going into it from the block but it has no where to go i caped off the 1/2 npt hose barb fitting on the intake it went to the heater core do i need to hook this back up to the water pump to make a flow of coolant through the intake or does this matter right now the intake does not heat up like the block could this make the computer think its in a cold loop and the block in a warm loop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 pm 

I would look at the MAF, ECT and MAP.

If you are running the maf in a different size intake tube it will need recalibrated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:20 pm 

Coolant needs to flow to through the intake unless you move the coolant temp sensor. It has to read the coolant temp for warmup enrichment. Likely it is staying in "enrichment" mode because the coolant isn't heating up enough. Just move the coolant temp sensor to the water neck or line to the radiator.

These engines, at least in turbo form, used a VAM. Variable Air Meter, instead of MAF or MAP to monitor air flow. You need to have that for it to run in stock form. It's a big black box with a door that moves electronically.

Last edited by fortydegnorth on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:24 pm 

Depending on the intake manifold you will still get coolant into the intake from the head. Between intake runners 2 and 3 is the coolant passage. If it stays stagnant it could cause a problem. I bought a gasket for a propane 2.3 that blocks the coolant to the manifold. I then welded up the sensor holes and have no water in the intake now. I made a new water neck that has the coolant temp sensor in it. Works like a champ but I'm also running megasquirt stand alone ECU. Did you set base fuel pressure, with vacuum line unplugged, to 43.5#? What are the injectors? Do they have a brown top on them? If so those are 35# stock injectors for the late 1980's models.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines