It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wc questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 pm 

Has anyone ever used a vw scirocco or corrado motor. In a buggy? I had a 16 valve sicrocco when I was younger and loved that car. What do y'all think would it be worth the work to make it work. I know I. Have never seen one. I don't know much about the wc buggy's I have always had ac but just wanted some more info on this.

Post subject: Re: wc questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm 

Another question is why you used the motor u did what are the advantages of it and draw backs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:05 pm 
WB Contributor

I run a 2003 Acura v6 it makes 235 lbft of torque at 3500 rpm and peak horse power of 270 around 5000 rpm. The engines are plentiful J32 series 3.2 liter. I went with this as the engine is powerful, cost effective about the cost of a VW 1915 cc. parts in the after market are plentiful. - the only draw back to this choice is that you will have to build a trans with racing gears. Mine is still stock with a supper diff but its not if it will break it is when.

The VW v6 you are asking about makes about 170 horse and I believe it is a cast Iron block where the Acura engine is all aluminum. So if you had one you could in theory make it work. You can go to www.kenedyengineering.com and look at the list of adaptors they make.

The echotec engines seem to be another great alternative as well as the Subaru engines. Try to stick with more common engines as part as less expensive and more readily available.

Best of luck whatever your choice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:43 pm 

How hard is it to get all of the wiring figured out and are you better of to buy a totaled car or just the motor?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 pm 
WB Contributor

In my case I got the complete engine with wire harness and ECU. It was thru a salvage auction. I also have the title which is labeled destroy. The are several threads on this site that deal with WC conversions. The Echotec engines have a very simple ECU that is easily programable thru a pc software package. There are companies that specialize in striping the wire harness down to the engine control only. I am far less knowledgeable when it comes to the Subaru engines. Passat on this site is the guy with the Suby knowledge.

The wiring harness is not hard to strip. With a good service manual and the wiring diagrams almost anyone can do it. So do some research and dive in. The Echotec engines are very common used in many GM cars so they are more cost effective. And they can be made to make some great power.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:37 pm 

Red Barron wrote:
In my case I got the complete engine with wire harness and ECU. It was thru a salvage auction. I also have the title which is labeled destroy. The are several threads on this site that deal with WC conversions. The Echotec engines have a very simple ECU that is easily programable thru a pc software package. There are companies that specialize in striping the wire harness down to the engine control only. I am far less knowledgeable when it comes to the Subaru engines. Passat on this site is the guy with the Suby knowledge.

The wiring harness is not hard to strip. With a good service manual and the wiring diagrams almost anyone can do it. So do some research and dive in. The Echotec engines are very common used in many GM cars so they are more cost effective. And they can be made to make some great power.

He is right so many gm cars have ecotec I got mine off eBay motor, harness, and ecu shipped to my door for 600.

With the info on here an ecotec swap is just about plug-and-play

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines