It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ecotec swap help Pls
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:34 pm 

I haven't figured out how to post images but , I figure you guys that have made the ecotec swap may recognize my descriptions. I am swapping a stock N/A, 2.2 out of an 07 Cobalt. I'm learning about the ecotec as I go. There are a couple things on the engine I haven't figured out yet. Maybe someone could help?

1. The rubber hose that goes from the front of the black plastic housing/throttle body to the brake housing. Do I cap this or does it need to vent?
2. Above the stock exhaust manifold, there was a canister type unit with a black plastic top. Looks like there was a large hose and a coupler from the harness attached. It's gone since I installed an offroad header. Will the engine run without it?
3. There is a hard, non flexible plastic line coming off the top of the black plastic housing/throttle body. Where did it go and do I cap or vent?
4. There is a thing, (hope thats not too technical), with two opposing nipples for small hoses. Looks like maybe the line from #3 was attached? There is a coupler for harness plug. It appears that it was mounted on end of engine opposite belt. Recognize description? Do I need it ?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Post subject: Re: Ecotec swap help Pls
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm 

If you are talking about this (right click to view whole pic.), I removed it and plug the intake and cut the wires.
I did plug all of my vaccum lines to the intake.
I don't have anything above my exhaust. So i cant help you on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:09 pm 

1. Cap it
2. It will run without it.
3. Cap it.
4. You can do away with it and the wiring going to it. Its just for emissions. Just make sure they turn it off when you reflash the ecm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm 

Amazing, The freaking internet. A guy in Cali needs a little help with his buggy and a guy from Florida and another from Kentucky figures it out. Thanks guys.
FYI:
Donar car 07 Cobalt
Adios ACVW
Wiring by enginewiring.com ( Got a little dicey but I think it's going to work out)
Reflash, (if thats what it's called), Trifecta Performance, (Got my fingers crossed).
Probably should have bit the bullet and bought a turnkey set up but, I like to do things myself, save a little, and learn alot.
Gonna try to fire it off this weekend. If it doesn't run, I'll post a picture of a grown man crying.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm 
WB Contributor

1. vacumm to power brakes. you can cap it. excellent source of manifold vacumm if you ever need it or want to diagnose with a vacumm gauge.

2. sounds like EGR valve. helps with pinging and detonation when cruising. hopefully your pcm flash will take care of part throttle issues. this can be removed but youll have to make or buy a cap for what its bolted to. I could be wrong about this one because i thought the EGR was on the front of these motors.

3. 3 should lead to 4

4. evap purge solenoid. takes fumes from gas tank and burns them for emissions purposes. remove it.

some one please correct me on number 2 if im wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:48 pm 

My 07 Cobalt engine doesn't have an EGR valve. (doesn't need a pcv valve either) The Ecotec was created by a team of mostly German engineers who we all know can make Japanese engineers look stupid sometimes.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines