It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:16 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Acura 3.2 liter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:43 pm 
WB Contributor

I have seen a lot of discussion on this site about Echotech and Subaru engines and not the first mention of the Acura 3.2 or the Honda 3.0. Both are very plentiful in the salvage yards and the type s make 260 horse factory. I was one of six buggies in the Tampa area. I went with the Acura as I found a whole car at a savage auction for $800 kept what I needed and parted out this rest. I have had issues with aftermarket fuel pumps and the noise they make. I currently run a MSD pump loud but still running.

Looking to get a 2 seat car to build a hill killer. I think I may just build it. I think the S2000 engine would be a great power plant for hill climb.

I am amazed by all the great info on the site. I have been building and playing with buggies for the last 27 years. Thanks for the great info.

Post subject: Re: Acura 3.2 liter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:53 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

check out the got honda build it is badass, its the 1st w/c buggy ive seen that i would consider getting rid of my a/c for

http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... =23&t=9456

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:07 am 
WB Contributor

Thanks Chris, I really like the positioning of his radiator. I have mine behind the rear seats. I need to clean it up and take some more photos to post on the build site.

Does any one have any experience with the plug and play ECU units on the market. I have striped my harness and jumped the ECU to trick it into thinking that it is in reverse to get around the speed sensors. I am planing on adding a turbo kit from a builder in California to bump the HP to 400HP. I have plans to build my spare 091 up and if I understand Eric on the sponsor page is the 091 expert.

If anyone needs info on the Acura 3.2 just PM me I have a pile of info on them. I know all the tricks to reversing the intake.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:44 am 

Honda and Acura seem to be the new "go to" small engine for the California dune guys. Lots of talk and builds using those engines on the www.glamisdunes.com website. If it's not an LS1, Subaru or Ecotec out there it's a Honda. A guy on the boars "Hondo" seems to know his stuff about computer and wiring. May be worth your while to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:26 pm 
WB Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions found my issue last night on the OBD scanner. My TPS sensor has a bad spot. I replaced it and back to the good ole days. I would like to build an new fuel tank for my four seater to put an in-tank pump to kill the sound of the fuel pump.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:02 pm 

If you can weld aluminum or know someone that can, I say go for it. Make it fit perfect in the frame and add all the sumps, fuel pump, vents, baffles and whatever else you think of. I'd probably make my own if I were to do it again. I'd tuck it behind the seats, nice and low, for low center of gravity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:21 pm 
WB Contributor

I do have a fabricator but more than likely it will be stainless steel since he does on SS fab. I would love to put it behind the seats but that is where my radiator lives. I have an 11 gallon now and if I keep the same height and go as wide as the deck I should have at least 17 gallons. I will post photo once I get it fabed up.

Is Wellsville in Ohio?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 pm 

I researched the honda v6 when I was looking for a water pumper swap. I didnt like the engine price compaired to the ecotec. Got all 3 of my ecotecs for around $100. Around here the v6 is popular engine and on the expensive side. But the are very reliable engines with TONS of aftermaket support.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm 

Would really like to see some pics!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:03 pm 
WB Contributor

I will post some photos once I figure out how to on the forum page. I have several pictures during fab. I have seen 3.2 from 250 to 800 depending on milage. The cost for the 3.2 is making it run with the ECU. Unlike the GM ECU the Honda ECU's are proprietary and not easily changed without re-flashing the ECU. I have a friend that has striped his harness and a couple of others . He helped out with the harness and I found a honda forum that explained how to trick the ECU into thinking it is in reverse so that it doesn't look for the Autotrans signals. Acura only made 2 model years with an available manual trans. That is the reason why the 3.2 and 3.0 engines are so available. The Auto trans was junk from 2000 to 2007. The 3.2 with the raised notch on the intake cover denotes a Type-S which puts out 40 horse more than the non S. There is a company in Arizona that provides kits with the KEP adaptor, flywheel and Clutch, wiring harness ECU and fuel pump (less Engine) for $2500.00.

I had a type 4 Porche 914 engine in my previous car so I already had a 210mm clutch and pressure plate and high torque starter. I sold my 914 engine long block for $4,500.00 on the Samba, and the Dellorto 48's for another $1,500.00. So between the engine and carbs I had enough for my new project car. I have found it better to strip an old car and part out the stuff you don't want and sell the bare frame. I got a lot more $ back that way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 am 

I use Photobucket to post pics. Just upload to photobucket, copy the "img" file and paste it into your woodsbuggy post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:32 pm 
WB Contributor

Here are a few pictures during mock up and a finished picture. I need to take some more photo's to post showing the engine, exhaust, and radiator set up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:53 pm 
WB Contributor

Passenger side exhaust 304SS with Jet Coat
Driver Side exhaust with O2 sensor bung (stock exhaust manifolds & heat shield)
Rear engine cage welded solid for better engine support
ECU, Fuse Block (12 circuit), Relays live here
Radiator behind rear seats
Engine overhead shot

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines