It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 pm 

has anyone ever tryed a mazda rotary in thier buggy? i rode in one about ten years ago at siverlake and it was impressive. but i dont remember much about it. been toying with idea of trying one. just as a side project. any thoughts or ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Phillip m would be the guy to ask about the rotory.he's posted some vids of them running them on the other side of the pond.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:53 pm 
BOTM Winner

It is my understanding the Rotory makes power way up in its RPM range and is a dog on the bottom end. If that is true then it would not a good application for Woods riding IMHO. I have never ran one so I have no proof either way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:01 pm 

i have heard different opinions on the power curve. i know they are generally a high rpm motor, but have heard that you can get them to pull well through the mid range. appeal is the simplicity of the and the light weight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:03 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... lit=Rotory
Try this out I knew I had seen one on here.shows you a hp/torque chart and a video of him running it.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:52 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
It is my understanding the Rotory makes power way up in its RPM range and is a dog on the bottom end. If that is true then it would not a good application for Woods riding IMHO. I have never ran one so I have no proof either way.

X2 I have head they work well with turbos and rpms are endles . So Gear it low and let it turn rpms

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 pm 

They work very well with turbo's, no exhaust valve in the way to steal the energy.
As for being crap down low - ours has 80% of peak torque right from 3krpm to 9krpm - but they do love to rev.

And, and after a VW engine, you'll be amazed at how many bolts don't shake loose from the vibrations any more :lol: They are smooth as butter even when you're hitting 10krpm. Definately gear it low though, otherwise with the amount of rpms you have it's gonna feel sluggish when it can hit 90mph in first gear :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj6jiFTU ... ature=plcp

Bear in mind, that's a heavy buggy compared to what you guys run, around 1900lbs.

edit: Original engine dyno run:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Try this rotary engine out.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:17 pm 

thanks for the thoughts! i have a buddy that road races rx7's. he also has a manx street buggy. a few beers int the garage got this whole conversation started. i do have a spare frame and a few 6 ribs. if funds allow i am thinking seriously bout trying it out. i belive teh adapter plates are readily available. just have to check the price. anyone else has any experience or opionion i would love to hear them

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Starting on a hill is the only real area I would see it having a problem. Sand dunes, it would be an ideal fit. 3k rpm isnt much with it geared down by 30%. That would give you a 9k rpm gearing close to a 6k rpm engine. But I believe the power is there in a small light engine if you can find and afford the gears.
It will either work great, or suck bad....good luck hope it works. Would be a great baja engine i bet! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:58 pm 

I have been into rotarys for a while. I've had several N/A and twin turbo RX-7. Currently have a RX8 and have considered this before.
I've talked to a local guy that ran one on his race buggy, he said it was crazy fast. I'm not sure what all he tried but he could not get a VW trans to hold up. Something about to many RPM's and catastrophic meltdown JM2C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:05 pm 

Managed to do that with a VW engine, so I wouldn't try the VW 'box on the rotary :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:10 pm 
BOTM Winner

3000 rpm is on the high side to start your torque curve. Most woods buggies with big motors I think are making some good torque by 2000 rpm. I'M not saying i dont think it will work, just spend some $$ on gears. The higher the RMP, the quicker even good gears will break!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 pm 

torque breaks gears far faster than rpms does.

Besides, it'll pull 3rd right off idle if you want (1050rpms), and 3krpms to a rotary is nothing, it sounds happier there than most veedubs do when they're not running :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 pm 

i see your point about the higher curve. i know of quite a few buggies around here that have been built by guys who think the bigger the cam the bigger the power, not realising they have to match tjier parts, and some actually run ok but the power range is way up there with no bottom end. and though there is always the "rev it to the moon and dump the clutch" method of starting on hills that will break stuff rather quickly. i am kinda spoiled right now having a very strong 2276 that makes goobs of torque for a wide range so a high revving engine would be a big change! of course that buggy will stay intact. this would be way more of just an experiment.
thiking deffinatly want a turbo. any sugestions on which motor to look for or which to stay away from? buddy has some 12a laying around but i not opposed to looking elsewhere

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm 

Have you got a dyno sheet from it?

Even with a 2.3, I've a suspicion that you'll find comparing it that dyno above from the RX-8, it probably matches it everywhere for torque up until about 5krpm, when the rotary then buries it.
Certainly pisses all over our old 2.1 VW for low-end torque, and we've found more power and torque over that dyno sheet above from a few changes anyway.

Perfect engine for the buggy tbh, we've thought about swapping to something else (hard to find good engines), but I haven't found anything that matches it for power/torque/size/weight as a package tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 pm 

i see what you mean phillip. almost 125 ft/lb at 1500rpm. thats better than most well built vw motors i have seen for sure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 pm 

I think part of the reason they feel sluggish low down is just down to how much more fun they are up at the top.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:22 am 

PhillipM wrote:
I think part of the reason they feel sluggish low down is just down to how much more fun they are up at the top.

I agree the RX8 is a ton of fun to drive, the have a power band kinda like a dirtbike! The Renesis 13b is reliable too. I've been driven mine, not easy for 8 years and 90,000 miles. The 13btt in the 93-95 RX-7's are more fun but I smoked two of those engines around 75,000 miles

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines