It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cooling fans
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 pm 

I am in the middle of an ecotec swap and I installed a radiator from a cherokee but I cant find any electric fans at the junkyard that fit the radiator. Does anyone know what fans will work or how many cfm's a fan has to pull to keep it from overheating.

Post subject: Re: cooling fans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
A ford Taurus fan works good the 2 speed fan that is . Also make sure you go the 2 core jeep radiator cause the single core don't cool to good just a FYI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:52 am 

I have the 2 row radiator. I know the taraus fan pulls the most air but what about using a couple of aux fans from a cherokee. They pull 1000 cfm's a piece and fit the radiator perfect?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:06 pm 

I think people sometime go into overkill when sizing a radiator for a buggy. A water cooled engine in a buggy doesn't have to work near as hard as when its in a car and therefore produces a lot less heat. I'm running a radiator and cooling fan from a 91-94 Dodge Shadow naturally aspirated 4 cylinder and my engine is a 2.2L turbo charged engine. The curved fan blades (single fan) make it almost silent when its running. The radiator is behind the fuel tank and gets very little air flow without the fan running. However, the fan is thermostatically controlled and spends most of the time off.

Huey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:23 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
I had one of those eBay alloy radiator for a civic and the fan came with it it wS $100.00 bucks and it always ran hot then we was sitting their on the trails and my buddy told me I had it hooked up the wrong way . I argued with him and he won the bet he reversed the wires which made the fan run opposite way and it took cAre of the running hot issue . The fan was set up as push when it should had been pull !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:28 pm 

y-not wrote:
I have the 2 row radiator. I know the taraus fan pulls the most air but what about using a couple of aux fans from a cherokee. They pull 1000 cfm's a piece and fit the radiator perfect?

I'd bet you'll be fine with those. I'm using a single core grand am radiator in my ecotec buggy. I have the factory grand am dual fans also. i have unplugged one of the fans because it is not needed. in fact it takes forever for my car to reach 180 degrees and rarely does it go any higher and these engines run as hot as 230 degrees in there original homes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:17 pm 

Huey wrote:
I think people sometime go into overkill when sizing a radiator for a buggy. A water cooled engine in a buggy doesn't have to work near as hard as when its in a car and therefore produces a lot less heat.
Huey

Well, it might do for you, but I have to run a radiator originally designed for 600bhp skylines with twin 16" 1800cfm fans on it!
And an oil cooler off a tractor unit :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 am 

y-not wrote:
I am in the middle of an ecotec swap and I installed a radiator from a cherokee but I cant find any electric fans at the junkyard that fit the radiator. Does anyone know what fans will work or how many cfm's a fan has to pull to keep it from overheating.

I did the same swap. I used a cherokee radiator also. From what I have noticed about mine is if you get any air moving through the radiator at all it wont get hotter than 200 deg. I have a problem with my fans coming on at to low of a temp. So it does not get up past 140 deg. I unplug my fans and went for a ride, It got as hi as 200 deg. but that's after riding about 40 min and then setting still running for about 5 or 10 min. As long as I was moving it stayed about 180.
I'm also in Fl. and I was testing in July.
Here's my setup,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:45 pm 

You can build a two stage fan control using two fan control relays, a 180 deg switch, and a 25 watt block resistor. The computer fan logic will be used to turn on the fan through a resistor circuit causing the fans to run at a lower speed. I have two 10" fans that are barely audible but put out a descent breeze with the resistor in line to ground. If the radiator return coolant hose reaches 180 ( switch located on coolant return pipe on motor) then a second relay gives the fans a low resistance ground giving you full speed. My observed engine coolant temps (taken at the water pump) are 160 for low speed fan on and 190 for high speed.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines