It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

How many of you miss your VW engine? Or would be willing to go back to it if you could do the swap for free? Just curious if anyone would.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:36 am 
BOTM Winner

What's a VW Motor? Need I say more? :roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:44 am 

nitro_mudder wrote:
How many of you miss your VW engine? Or would be willing to go back to it if you could do the swap for free? Just curious if anyone would.

If someone gave me one for free, I would drop it off at the scrapyard the next morning with the rest of the rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am 
Master fabricator

There not a good boat anchor and too bulky to be a paper weight. I let one sit outside for two weeks, had to beg the scrap monkeys to take it and they will steal the hubcaps off the police cars parked in front of their own building. In my book the only good thing about them is selling the junk parts to the die hard dumb dumbs.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:10 pm 
BOTM Winner

I like my water cooled, but i sure as hell wont knock the air cooled!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm 
WB Contributor

Nitro! Did your mecanical skills play out on ya? Stay with it!lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 pm 
BOTM Winner

LMAO you guys are funny!!! just cuz you guys cant make one run good dont mean there all bad!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

passat2800 wrote:
Nitro! Did your mecanical skills play out on ya? Stay with it!lol

Nope still doing little mods to mine before it gets moved out and I start m daughters build. Plus I still need to pick up the trans for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:28 pm 
BOTM Winner

davehix wrote:
LMAO you guys are funny!!! just cuz you guys cant make one run good dont mean there all bad!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All of my previous VW motors ran good, just sounded like Screaming Banshees all the time. Cost per HP ratio is just way to high IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:12 pm 

davehix wrote:

I'll stick with my 270bhp and a 6krpm-wide powerband thanks :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
davehix wrote:

All of my previous VW motors ran good, just sounded like Screaming Banshees all the time. Cost per HP ratio is just way to high IMHO.

No way i'll go back. cost per hp? I got my ecotec for free! put 200 in parts and i love it. Fuel injected,no dist and wonderfully reliable. In fact the more i replace vdub parts with other parts the more reliable the entire car gets. I do love the way a built vw motor sounds but i also have a t3 turbo and intercooler i got for free and for the money i would have to spend to make a vw motor make the power my turbo ecotec will make i can buy a mendeola trans and have added reliability there also :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I agree completely guys. If I can find a replacement for VW on any part I do. But typically only after I break the VW. I love my GM and other odd parts I have added. When I got my buggy with my quad4 in it I was asked "Do you know how to work on that if it acts up?" And my reply was " Nope, but I don't know how to work on a VW or carbs either, but if I have a problem with the Quad I can see 3 shops from my driveway that can work on it. Or just replace it for $200 to $500." Now that being said I am not sure you could do a low budget single seater with an Eco or Suby and 091 trans and get good results due to balence. Hope someone proves me wrong. I know baby chains would do it. But in a heavier trail rig where the balance gets nuetralized do to buggy and passenger weight, man its hard to compete with a watercooled without getting a ton of $$ in a VW. Only 2 advantages to a AC motor are lighter weight by 100lbs over ecotec, and easier to rebuild if you do blow it up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Never rebuild a W/C. They are standing in the junk yard waiting for nothing.But now that yall know w/c is great go for the Passat set up and let the bus trans clutch flywheel pressure plate IMA starter and kennedy adapter go!Save $1k's

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:13 am 

I was offered a vw engine for free a few months ago. I just didnt want to have to move it, store it, or anything else with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am 
BOTM Winner

Im just messing with you guys!! i got a buddy that had a vw engine and everytime we went riding there was a problem with something so we did a subi swap and he never has the problems he had but we stuck that vw engine on anouther buggy and it ran good so idk lol. it is really to each his own. wc is the best bang for the buck for sure but i got a pile of vw parts to go thru first :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tw9294 wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:
davehix wrote:

No way i'll go back. cost per hp? I got my ecotec for free! put 200 in parts and i love it. Fuel injected,no dist and wonderfully reliable. In fact the more i replace vdub parts with other parts the more reliable the entire car gets. I do love the way a built vw motor sounds but i also have a t3 turbo and intercooler i got for free and for the money i would have to spend to make a vw motor make the power my turbo ecotec will make i can buy a mendeola trans and have added reliability there also :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 am 
BOTM Winner

No Offense taken Dave. As you said to each his own. You will come around eventually! :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:36 am 
BOTM Winner

i doubt it!!!! :mrgreen: you going wellsville this weekend? we will be there fri morning.
Odyknuck wrote:
No Offense taken Dave. As you said to each his own. You will come around eventually! :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:36 pm 
BOTM Winner

Ha! Ha! Well your already using a Holly Carb! Little by little :shock: :mrgreen: I will be down on Saterday, maybe Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:14 pm 

Once upon a time around Emporium I found 2 hills, one called longjump and the other wasn't named.The approach and fall off of these 2 was absolutely perfect. A stock hung VW could nail them as fast as he wanted and the only thing that changed was how much higher and further you flew. The heights were getting stupid high and so was the hang time and all this wasn't done in some fairy Glamis wagon. Yes, I would love to go back with an old boltswagon again for a day and giggle till my sides hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 pm 

i gotta agree i love way vw sounds for sure..but for riding i do water cooled best for me..just trail ridin..dont care whos faster or climb higher..just glad i not cleaning idle jets n woods anymore lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Hey if any of you guys want to throw them old crappy vw engines away let me know cause I'll take them.i will give you the power for cheaper argument,but I'm not going to call vw junk.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:18 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

VW is junk.You take a case and put a after market crank,Heads,Rods,rod bolts,Cam,Lifters,Rockers,oil pump,tin's,Carbs,Intake for 8 grand then you got something.I ran a vw for years<<<<LOVED it. It was just like like Ody said cash v/s power it just don't add up.I run a/c now and can't see me ever building a nother unless I build one for some one else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:28 pm 

I will say something about those VW motors they sale high I have made a few bucks on them. Oh and they do sound good. :lol:
But won't have another unless I can make a few bucks on saling it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:00 pm 

i had a w/c and wouldnt go back to it for nothing. so i guess this arguement goes both ways. real men ride a/c. everyone else took the easy way out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:26 pm 

dink2275 wrote:
i had a w/c and wouldnt go back to it for nothing. so i guess this arguement goes both ways. real men ride a/c. everyone else took the easy way out.

well said this is the only intelligent thing Ive read on this hole topic 8)

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines