It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Regulator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 am 

Im looking for a cheap regulator i have a 05 ecotec that has no return so i need a Regulator with a return in it. So what are you guys running.

Post subject: Re: Regulator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 am 

The returnless systems don't need one because the ecm controls fuel pressure by pulse width modulation of the voltage to the fuel pump. In easy terms it varys battery voltage to the pump to keep pressure at the constant rate it needs according to the load on the engine. If your using the factory ecm you should be fine. Just for your info it does the same with the alternator. There is no voltage regulator it just varys the incoming voltage to regulate the outgoing voltage depending on electrical load.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:36 pm 

thanks

also its a drive by wire they are sending me one for a 04 that is cable can i just put it on or will it miss something else up. i have not send my ecu off yet so it it something they can change for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:26 am 

things will definately have to be changed. I'm assuming you have an 04 wiring harness and the wiring for a drive by wire throttle body will be different than that of a cable operated throttle body. I would talk to whoever you are going to buy or have your ecm programmed by and talk to them before going any further. Also you may want to pm terry fryer. I'm pretty sure he used the electric throttle pedal and throttle body on his car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 am 

There are also some forums on the net that are dedicated to the Ecotec engines. You may find that kind of info by searching those.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:44 am 

You know I have read two different ways the the ecotec without return lines work.
One is just like tw9294 has said and the other is that there is a regulator inside the tank that controls fuel pressure before the fuel leaves the tank. It probably just depends on witch GM car it came from.

I to have a later model engine that came with a drive by wire. I changed it to a fuel return line style.
I used a wiring harness, ecu and the throttle body from a 2003 sunbird.
I removed the anti-knock pressure thing on the end of the fuel rain and made a fitting for a return line.
You can see it on the end of the fuel rail with the rubber cap on it.

Then I added a fuel regulator to the fuel system.
I have not started it yet so I don't know how good it works.
This is looking at the bottom of the tank.

Norm

Last edited by Sandbar Norm on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 am 
BOTM Winner

Terry is the man when it comes to this, Terrys Ecotech is electronic throttle and has a servo on the throttle body and it is a nice setup. Just like he said, give Terry a holler and he can help you out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:13 pm 

Thanks i PM terry so i hope to have his input soon :lol:

Does anyone else running one by wire? It sounds like if im going to use this ECU I have do do the wire.
I was wanting to know how it would hold up to the water and mud.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:24 pm 
BOTM Winner

Sandbar Norm wrote:
You know I have read two different ways the the ecotec without return lines work.
One is just like tw9294 has said and the other is that there is a regulator inside the tank that controls fuel pressure before the fuel leaves the tank. It probably just depends on witch GM car it came from.

I to have a later model engine that came with a drive by wire. I changed it to a fuel return line style.
I removed the anti-knock pressure thing on the end of the fuel rain and made a fitting for a return line.

Norm

Not to hijack the thread however are you running motor mounts on the bottom.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
Sandbar Norm wrote:

Norm

Not to hijack the thread however are you running motor mounts on the bottom.

I used 1" x 1/8" tubing and 3/16" plates with 1" x 1/2" spacers on the top bolts.
1" round stock with a 9/16" hole for the motor mount bolts
3/16" Tabs welded to the frame

Here is a link to my pictures of my VW to Ecotec swap
Caution I went a little over board with the pictures but I figured that I can always delete the ones I don't want.
Norm

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/Sandbar_Norm/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:12 pm 

I,m sorry. I'm a gm tech by trade so i looked yours up at work today. Yours is an 04 or 05 right? It is regulated through the sending unit in the tank and not the way i explained it before. This is the way the manual explains it.

The fuel tank stores the fuel supply. An electric turbine style fuel pump attaches to the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. The fuel pump supplies high pressure fuel through the fuel filter and the fuel feed pipe to the fuel injection system. The fuel pump provides fuel at a higher rate of flow than is needed by the fuel injection system. The fuel pump also supplies fuel to a venturi pump located on the bottom of the fuel sender assembly. The function of the venturi pump is to fill the fuel sender assembly reservoir. The fuel pressure regulator, a part of the fuel sender assembly, maintains the correct fuel pressure to the fuel injection system. The fuel pump and sender assembly contains a reverse flow check valve. The check valve and the fuel pressure regulator maintain fuel pressure in the fuel feed pipe and the fuel rail in order to prevent long cranking times.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 pm 

I love the drive by wire. I used the pedal out of a car and put it in a console turned around backwards then connected it with a cable to my buggy pedal works great and stay's dry that way to. My throttle cable is only about a foot long.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 pm 

Oh and Norm not saying anything bad but if I was you I would create a little more clearance between your oil pan and skid plate. They are week ask Debord how many he has welded up. Just trying to save you money in the future. If you are not to far along I would tilt my tranny. Drop the front a little and raise the back that way you don't loose any ground clearance just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 pm 

tw9294 wrote:
I,m sorry. I'm a gm tech by trade so i looked yours up at work today. Yours is an 04 or 05 right? It is regulated through the sending unit in the tank and not the way i explained it before. This is the way the manual explains it

Thanks alot and yes its a 05 and the pedal is on its way

On the reguator i was thinking of running a jeep filter it has a reguator made in it set at 55psi. Do you all think this will work??

link to filter im talking about
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 89508_0_0_

Sandbar Norm
I really like your motor maunts looks nice :mrgreen:

Terry fryer
Could you post a pic of your set up on your padal?

thanks everyone :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm 

I think there is some pics in my build post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 am 

Terry fryer wrote:
Oh and Norm not saying anything bad but if I was you I would create a little more clearance between your oil pan and skid plate. They are week ask Debord how many he has welded up. Just trying to save you money in the future. If you are not to far along I would tilt my tranny. Drop the front a little and raise the back that way you don't loose any ground clearance just my opinion.

Terry your right about the skid plate being close to the oil pan. I only have about 1/4". This is a budget build so I'm having to do it in stages. I'm putting this engine right now with a type 1 trans. to get it running. It was either rebuild the VW engine or go ahead and swap it out or park it. You know which way I went. I picked up a 5-rib about a 1-1/2 weeks ago. I'm getting a local tranny guy to go through it. When its ready and I have 3x3's,axles,etc. I'll switch them and think that would be a good time to drop the front of the trans.
Till then I'll have to ride easy.

BlueBuggy, Thanks for the "at a boy" on the mounts. I'll have to change them when I change the trans.

Norm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines