It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OBD 2 wiring harness
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:39 am 
WB Contributor

I'm just writing this to help people who might want to use a water cooled motor.All these On Board Diagnostic OBD2 systems are pretty close to the same. On my VW Passat, wiring was very tough, but looking back it is too easy.If I were to do it all over again I would disconnect the big plug connector from the motor, pull the motor(mark EVERY wire you cut off the engine or disconnect). Now keep the bundle going to the computor(ecm),my computor wire bundle went thru the passenger side of the firewall and under the windshield wiper motor. Then chop the bundle going thru the fire wall to the KEY SWITCH.Chop and keep your OBD2 test port which is by the drivers knee.Later you'll see the same colored 3 wires are on the chopped bundle and they just need to be spliced back on.1 goes to the compt, 1 to an always hot(batt) and 1 to ground.In the chopped off bundle there will be 6 wires that need to be powered by toggle switches. They are(1) coil pack,(2) electric fuel pump(get an external from an old early 80's car with 45 psi or better),(3)fuel injection (coming from injectors), (4)(put throttle control, maf, oat,on the same switch). Get rid of smog pump fuel, vapor recirculation radiator relays etc.You must use both O2 sensors or you will foul plugs in 15 hours.Both O2 wiring pigtails go directly to the compt so there is nothing to do with them. THERE WILL BE( BROWN) GROUNDS COMING OUT OF THE COMPUTOR OR OTHER ENGINE PLACES THAT NEED GROUNDING.The computor hot wire needs to be on the battery permanently for memory.The water temp wire must be spliced back to its original colored wire back to the compt or it will NOT run.Put a brass "T" under your gas tank for recirculation(Return Line).Mount fuel connections point away from the occupants. 45 psi could get ugly .Use only fuel injection clamps!Don't over tighten and damage rubber lines. Use ONLY high pressure fuel injection hose with a high pressure metal filter after the pump.Carry a fuel approved fire extiguisher.Use maf (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaner ONLY for cleaning maf and other electrical stuff. Pull your knock sensor out (30secs) and wipe off metal particles. Run an ALWAYS on radiator fan switch or you will toast your motor. Use 2 fans 2 circuits!I like to power every thing with one of those brass throw bars from AutoZone. Your computor is already sealed but mounting it in an old ammo box is nice.Trapped air in the top of your radiator or hoses can run your motor hot so purging or burping is very important.Make a burp port if you have to. A temp gauge is mandatory coming of the head. Even if it is homemade.A warm radiator hose may mean the thermostat has opened but don't mean it's flowing due to trapped air.You can sqeeze the upper hose and you should feel flow.Your truck is dependable so why can't this be?Do all this and you will have one bad a$$ motor.Don't go too heavy or it may be undrivable.If you have any problems at anytime , borrow Auto Zone OBD2 scan tool for the On Board Diagnostic test . You may have bad codes for stuff like smog pump, fuel evaporation system etc but overall youll know your problem.Any time I ever had a problem, which was rare,it would be my fault not the vehicle.Keep your air filter very clean for ultimate power.The less air you get, the maf (Mass Air Flow) sensor tells the computor you need less gas.Auto zone sells a $20 book that is great for fundamental overall OBD2 motors.

Post subject: Re: OBD 2 wiring harness
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:43 am 
WB Contributor

thanks dd thats good info

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:12 pm 

That's exactly how I did mine but I haven't tried it yet I hope it works

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:19 pm 
WB Contributor

Hi. Who are you? Who is your daddy and what does he do? Quote from Arnold Swartznager. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:39 pm 

If the last post was meant for me I am Eugene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:02 am 
WB Contributor

man :roll: and you wonder why nobody takes your post seriously :?:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines