It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need some help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
BOTM Winner

im going to swap out an a/c vw to a suby so what do i need and this is for a buddy and he needs to do this cheep and ez..thanks guys..................................................

Post subject: Re: need some help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 pm 
WB Contributor

adapter plate from kennedy adapters (unless you can find one used) a donor car for wireing harness and motor, once you have the wireing harness done its really a easy swap, i thought so anyway. engine wireing.com is a little expensive on wireing the harness. rail1914 found a book that tels all about the suby wireing and he did his own. subysteve sent me a link for a honda raceing rad, ill look it up and send it to you (rad $120, adapter plate $400, donor car $200-$600) satisfaction guaranted priceless :mrgreen: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 pm 
WB Contributor

pm sent with the ebay link subysteve sent me. i bought the kit included rad mini shroud and elec fan. mine works great

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:57 pm 
WB Contributor

Built trans with 4 spyder,kennedy clutch , press plate , hi torque starter, redo oil pan, header,OR go with passat's well hated plan.The Jap motor will use stock exaust with a $10 extension pipe from AutoZone.use the stock wiring harness.No need for adapter plate, NOTHING but what came out of the doner car.The motor will ride in front of the rear wheels to help keep the front end down.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wilbur, Is he dead set on Suby? What about an ecotec? They are $149 at Pullapart with a gaurantee, make more power than a suby 2.2 and rev quicker and easier to get parts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:06 pm 
Global moderator

The suby engine has many of the qualities of the vw. low center of gravity. less weight hanging past the rear wheels, smoothness of the boxer ,and the harness is simpler than the obd2 to the point you can do it yourself. The ecotec has lots of power and aftermarket parts but you will have balance issues to resolve and a more expensive harness, plus the engine cage will be tighter lengthwise. Both very good dependable engines. I can help you with an obd1 suby harness for cheap. Other smarter folks can help with the obd2.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:37 pm 
BOTM Winner

:lol: ecotec :lol: :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 pm 

Ecotec!!! The harness really isn't that bad you just have to pay a 100 bucks to get the computer unlocked. And a stock ecotec will make as much or more power than most as I said most big strokers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 pm 

once you go ECOTEC you will never regret it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm 

ECOTEC :!: :!: :!: VERY clean and easy install. i have no weight or center of gravity issues. i have not noticed any significant differences in the handling or balance of my car as compared to my vw eng. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:12 pm 

Hi,
I vote ecotec also. :D

Norm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:34 pm 
WB Contributor

I would vote ecotec but if its on the cheap go 2.2 suby. I have an engine and harnes sittin on the floor of shop now. 400 with the electronics. I drove the car home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 pm 

Yes Steve that is cheeper than mine.
I statred out needing to rebuild my 1600 VW. Put a rear main seal in it last thanksgiving. It had so much end play that with the new seal and I pushed the clutch in it would slow the engine down. (About .060 to .070 end play). That new seal lasted 6 mo.
I started looking for long blocks vs me rebuilding it. For any thing with some size and hp was $$$$.

It look like the same amount to go WC as a built AC. (Now I'm not to sure which is cheeper)

So here I am, getting close to finishing my swap.

Your sube on the floor might of been the way to go.

Norm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:15 pm 

I got the ecotec in my buggy for $200 with harness an ecu and have a second spare engine I got for $125. Deals are out there lol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:26 pm 

I got my motor for free and put about 200.00 in it. sold my bug engine for enough to pay for my kenedy adapter and clutch and radiator.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:26 am 
BOTM Winner

Well, My wire harness was free! Just alot of wiring... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:33 am 
BOTM Winner

Bet my wiring harness was cheaper than all of y'alls... :wink: :twisted:

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:03 pm 
Global moderator

kyjr.buggy1 wrote:

-Dakotah/koko

bet your carbs was too :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Firebug wrote:
kyjr.buggy1 wrote:

-Dakotah/koko

LMAO, so was all the knowledge of carbs u got from tweeking them. :mrgreen: How much you got in that engine with the cheap harness?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:02 pm 
WB Contributor

i got my engine and harness cheaper than i bought my LAST set of carbs :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm 
WB Videographer

My suby harness,cooling system, exhaust and 2 engines cost $500.
But, today I would go ecotec, only because of the ground clearance problems with the suby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:50 pm 

Nitro I was restraining myself but you couldn't :D :) :)

nitro_mudder wrote:
Firebug wrote:
kyjr.buggy1 wrote:

-Dakotah/koko

LMAO, so was all the knowledge of carbs u got from tweeking them. :mrgreen: How much you got in that engine with the cheap harness?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:55 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Y'all must be gettin a hold of some junk ass carbs. I bought the webers Koko runs brand new, linkages and all for $450. Bolted them on the motor he runs (which I SOLD to him, not gave to him) and fired it up, soon as they got full of fuel it started and idled. Changed Vents and jets because I wanted to , for more low end response, not because they ran bad. They have given NO trouble whatsoever. The vents in his 44s are actually designed to be in 40's , so they slipped down a couple times until I had the chance to run the set screw a little deeper into the indent. That is my fault, not the fault of the carb manufacturer. He has to clean his jets occasionally, as most do with webers (Dellortos you do NOT usually unless there is a problem elsewhere). But pulling a jet occasionally is a small price to pay to have a motor that revs instantly when you need it to, doesnt take 2 or 3 seconds to rev down, has lots of torque AND lots of power upstairs for its weight, and looks and sounds beautiful. YES I said torque. I dont know why all the waterpumper guys make big claims of all the torque they make. I aint been in a waterpumper conventional buggy yet that felt like it would pull a sick whore out of bed compared to any correctly built VW bigger than a 2276.
I have been outran ONCE by a waterpumper on a conventional buggy on them pussy ass competition hills we had, but I aint seen one yet that will even start up a real hill. Somebody build a conventional waterpumper that leaps as soon as you touch the gas, will climb a REAL hill, stop in the middle without trying to flip back, and take off again to ride a wheelie out the top of that hill ........... then yall can start talking shit. Until then, better make sure you dont try to follow any bad ass VWs off of the main trails, or you will be on you lid with that boat anchor trying to smash your melon.

Nitro, wth do you know about carbs anyways?? How can you be so certain they're so troublesome when you aint never had a real performance VW, much less a set of dual carbs??? Is there something wrong with having enough knowledge of your engine components that you can fix them without the assistance of a computer ? Webers and Dellortos are marvels of highly functioning simplicity, just like an AC motor is.
Any yahoo can do some junkyarding a buy a harness and adapter and say they built a buggy. Those are the same type people who BUY a hotrod and claim to have built it themself to everybody they talk to at the rod runs.

Waterpumpers are ugly. They look out of place on the back of a sporty buggy. They sound gay on a buggy (except a v8 or a turbo on a CD). They are heavy. (If you think 80 lbs dont matter on the ass end of a conventional, you know nothing about hillclimbing, 8 lbs matters). They wont climb unless you run chains. Most of them wont turn enough rpms unless you modify them. (There goes the "they are cheaper " theory) Their exhaust smells like traffic jams. They are sluggish, factory fuel injection is about as responsive as a county employee on overtime. If it breaks in the woods, you are headed to the trailer and going home usually. They are hard to tune the suspension under to climb. They are harder on chassis and driveline components (right Nitro?). They just suck. They are good for trailriders and family hauler buggies only. Therefore my wife might get one, but I wont until one smacks me around doing what I love to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:07 am 
Global moderator

wildwillie wrote:
im going to swap out an a/c vw to a suby so what do i need and this is for a buddy and he needs to do this cheep and ez..thanks guys..................................................

I think your on the wrong forum Larry :| The yahoo wants a water cooled buggy :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 am 
BOTM Winner

I'm pretty sure he wasn't directing that to the original poster... (willie). Cause Willie knows that everything Dad said is true, and he'd tell you the same thing. Anybody who climbs anything you could actually consider a tough hill would... He was looking for the W/C motor for our buddy Terry. Dad was talking to everybody who started dogging the A/Cs. (Which yes, I started all that. :twisted: :lol: ) Just clearing that up.

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines