Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: need some help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:04 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Firebug wrote:
kybuggy1 wrote:
Firebug wrote:
Our current WBHC champion runs water cooled,, and it is as conventional as any buggy not running a stock VW engine and sedan tranny. But I will agree that most of the hopped up VW buggys will beat me any day. Just as soon as they get cranked,,warmed up.. and tuned ...Let's do this,,,,let them sit overnight,,,,pointed at a decent hill,,,then at sunrise we will foot race 50 ft..jump in our buggys,,,and hit the hill. That would be fun. 8)

Are you serious? Are we talking about the same yellow Outfront Subie w/ turbo and nitrous, 40" tires, powerglide, midengine, Supra turbo rear diff, 934s with $900 (each) axles buggy that Clayton owns?? It Is incredible, but what is conventional about it?? Conventional is rear engine and a transaxle, or at least IMO is in. Laid out like the original concept of a buggy....a beetle pan with a rollbar on it.

BTW, I'll take you up on that challenge. Could be fun. $1000? Not a decent hill though, how about a killer hill....something like Beechtree hill. I'm sure you will beat me in the foot race and maybe cold start (maybe). We'll prolly both end up on our lids, but its easier to flip mine back over and take off again :wink:

apparently conventional is in the eye of the beholder.. if it aint stock it aint conventional...find a new word. How about cookie cutter :mrgreen: OK,,to the challenge, bring it to Corinth this weekend,,I might even talk Mr.Paul into letting your family in free again,,,or , meet you in Tennessee,,I don't think I can make it to your playground,,and forget the grand, I aint got your money :wink: It's gotta be for fun,,If I win I will praise AC for a week,,,if you win ,,you praise WC for a day. Windrock is pleasant. Gotta lot of friends at LBL too,,,even PicWic. Turkey Bay????.I'm game,, buggy ready,,,let's do it :!:

YOU find a new word, we be using that term since me n Curt used to go on and on about CD vs lil buggy on buggy-talk. Stock means car tranny and a 1600 Solex.... to me.
I already praise w/c for their attributes. But ALWAYS someone has to come out saying FI is better than Dells, or WC is more reliable than a/c....blah blah blah. thats all BS, if the a/c is done RIGHT. I GOt to believe these folks did not have their a/c right. I have driven w/c buggies HOPING to find something better than what we run, but have been disappointed every time. YES, some of them have more power, Yes some of them are much cheaper to do. But NONE of them have kicked me in the seat of the pants like a hi end big VW on a light buggy when I hit the throttle. NONE. not one. W/c IS better for certain things, but so far it has NOT proven better in hillclimbing on the back end of a buggy, Thats all I'm saying.

As far as the challenge goes.....I aint got no money either, but I dont need to bring any cuz you'd be the one paying up :lol: :twisted: For reasons I dont wanna post because it would be park bashing, the challenge would HAVE to be at D&K. (Except maybe Pickwick, aint never been there.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 pm 
WB Contributor

Firebug wrote:
kybuggy1 wrote:
Firebug wrote:
Our current WBHC champion runs water cooled,, and it is as conventional as any buggy not running a stock VW engine and sedan tranny. But I will agree that most of the hopped up VW buggys will beat me any day. Just as soon as they get cranked,,warmed up.. and tuned ...Let's do this,,,,let them sit overnight,,,,pointed at a decent hill,,,then at sunrise we will foot race 50 ft..jump in our buggys,,,and hit the hill. That would be fun. 8)

Are you serious? Are we talking about the same yellow Outfront Subie w/ turbo and nitrous, 40" tires, powerglide, midengine, Supra turbo rear diff, 934s with $900 (each) axles buggy that Clayton owns?? It Is incredible, but what is conventional about it?? Conventional is rear engine and a transaxle, or at least IMO is in. Laid out like the original concept of a buggy....a beetle pan with a rollbar on it.

BTW, I'll take you up on that challenge. Could be fun. $1000? Not a decent hill though, how about a killer hill....something like Beechtree hill. I'm sure you will beat me in the foot race and maybe cold start (maybe). We'll prolly both end up on our lids, but its easier to flip mine back over and take off again :wink:

apparently conventional is in the eye of the beholder.. if it aint stock it aint conventional...find a new word. How about cookie cutter :mrgreen: OK,,to the challenge, bring it to Corinth this weekend,,I might even talk Mr.Paul into letting your family in free again,,,or , meet you in Tennessee,,I don't think I can make it to your playground,,and forget the grand, I aint got your money :wink: It's gotta be for fun,,If I win I will praise AC for a week,,,if you win ,,you praise WC for a day. Windrock is pleasant. Gotta lot of friends at LBL too,,,even PicWic. Turkey Bay????.I'm game,, buggy ready,,,let's do it :!:

cmon to tennessee. ill buy the beer for both of you and give you somewhere to sleep for free :mrgreen: my place is only 30 mins from turkeybay :wink: and larry can see first hand what my station wagon will do now with this waterpumper pushin it :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:56 pm 

i don't know what engine u r running terry but the way u left out and the speed u had before u hit the trees was pretty impressive to me. it looked like a pretty compettive run. with that kind of speed i don't think i could have driven it either. i climbed the race hill after the event and that was some tuff drivin. someone told me that your engine was supercharged is it :?:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:02 pm 
WB Contributor

SOME hills at lbl are as nasty as anywhere! just ask nastyhabbits, they just as nasty as ANY park has to offer :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:50 am 

Damn Willie!!!!...look what you started!...LMAO!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm 

im runnig very stout 2276 in a heavy buggy that is balanced pretty well. buddy has ecotec in lighter buggy that is more rear heavy than mine. i have driven both. he did his swap for less than i have in mine. his def has more low end than mind. would say his torque better in the mid range than mine to. prob due to my large cam! his is much more driver friendly in my opinion. has tons of power. can stop and start on a hill with no prob. has climbed some of the toughest hills at wellsville with me. does take some time to get used to. power comes on fast! other than having aftermarket header and exhaust its stock. oh yeah and we weighed it and my motor. less than 20lbs heavier. plus weight of adapter and radiator. if i had to to do again not sure which way i would go. love my ac. but the wc will surely live longer than mine. and if you do blow it up? can usually be found for less than 250 for good used one. i cant replace my good jugs and pistons for that!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

This has been the funniest shit I have read in years. Every one is right in there own way .You know I am all about WC but if I had to side with anyone it would have to be with Larry on the points of hill climbing .A light powerful buggy will have to do better just looking at the Mechanics. My Del's never gave me a problem ,But now my set up I have now works good also but I just a Tator rider :D

And by the way Propain is best :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:25 pm 

rockrockets1 wrote:
This has been the funniest shit I have read in years. Every one is right in there own way .You know I am all about WC but if I had to side with anyone it would have to be with Larry on the points of hill climbing .A light powerful buggy will have to do better just looking at the Mechanics. :

im with you rock but i see both sides larry likes his setup and has lots of parts over at his house, but a guy like me is looking at close to 4k for a 2332 making with luck 17o hp or go outside the box with a ecotec under 2k making 150hp with 200 not hard to hit but it leaves me more money for Suspension to try to run with a guy that has years on me and has a great setup :lol: 8) is that not how CD started by a guy looking outside the box to keep up with a guy with years on him :shock: :roll:

with terry i can see more where he is coming from ecotec's hold alot of drag racing titles. looking a the aircooled aftermaket there is alot but been there 40 years+ where the ecotec is for the most part still a new motor and has a very big aftermaket with it based off the LS motors. it does not take much to make them a powerhouse. i think with the right setup like larry has i think it will take alot for someone to keep up with terry once he gets it setup right.

i have been looking at both since last may and now i know im going to the dark side and i really hate doing that i love the sound of my motor now and would really like a big stroker on the street but for the money i just cant do it :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

O yea if I was gonna build a new buggy Conventional type it would have a Ecotec set up on it . I like the water pumpers. If I built a new CD it would have a 3.1 v6 Chevy .Simply because of the HP you can get out of them .My big ass took me out of the light weight category years ago so I had to go with the BIG HP :lol:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines