It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine opinions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:52 pm 

Hey guys, been browsing the forum for a while... Learned quite a bit so far. I'm looking at building a water cooled buggy and would like to hear yalls thoughts. I've got access to a 2.2 ectotec as well as a 2.4 turbo Chrysler out of a pt cruiser gt. I can't find a lot of info on the 2.4, so was wondering what would be the best choice. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Engine opinions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:00 pm 
BOTM Winner

As you stated, you can not find much info on the 2.4 so I would shy away from that one. The Ecotech is a proven engine in a Buggy and there are guys here that have used it and I am sure will offer you any help they can.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:08 pm 

Ive had 4 engines in my buggy an the ECOTEC is by far the best. What year/car is the engine out of?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:55 pm 

I don't think the 2.4l is all that bad. Consider the horsepower you can make with the turbo engine. I run a 2.2L turbo and it runs great, It makes 175hp in stock form with a full exhaust on the car. Just turn up the boost to 15PSI and run a straight pipe and you are over 200hp without any other modifications. I'm sure the twin cam 2.4L is capable of even higher numbers. With that being said ,If the Ecotec were supercharged or you plan on supercharging it(More money) than it would be the way to go(No turbo lag with a supercharger). Also the Ecotec is all aluminum and probably weighs less. I guess it would be best to weigh the pros and cons of each. Here is a link for 2.4L info ---->http://www.turbododge.com/

Huey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 am 

Thanks, keep em coming. The ecotec is out of an03 cavalier, I believe. If my memory/research serves me correctly it weighs ~300lbs and makes 140 hp. This is, I believe ~100lbs more than a comparable vw engine. If my research is correct, the 2.4 has a cast iron block with an aluminum head making ~215 hp... I don't have a weight on this engine. I can pick of both of these engines complete with wiring harness and ecu for less than a grand. What would a comparable air cooled engine cost to build? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the 2.4 weighs? I don't wanna be wheelieing every time I touch the gas. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:55 am 

when you get to 200hp + you going to want to look into a built trans. My buddys ecotec turbo at 10psi can put out 280hp an it can eat even a trans like its fun if not carful.

my ecotec is at about 170hp an 170lbs torque. torque is the number you want to look at. my buggy hauls ass!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:26 pm 

goodolboy01 wrote:
What would a comparable air cooled engine cost to build? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the 2.4 weighs? I don't wanna be wheelieing every time I touch the gas. Thanks.

My 2.2L weighs a little over 300lbs. If you run water cooled you need to run extended trailing arms. Mine are 3X3's. If you plan on competing in hill climbs then air cooled would be the better option with less weight(more money) to pack up a hill. Not saying the water cooled can't do it it just take way more effort to make a good hill climber out of it. Just come to the next hill climb and see for yourself what works :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:04 pm 

goodolboy01 wrote:
Thanks, keep em coming. The ecotec is out of an03 cavalier, I believe. If my memory/research serves me correctly it weighs ~300lbs and makes 140 hp. This is, I believe ~100lbs more than a comparable vw engine. If my research is correct, the 2.4 has a cast iron block with an aluminum head making ~215 hp... I don't have a weight on this engine. I can pick of both of these engines complete with wiring harness and ecu for less than a grand. What would a comparable air cooled engine cost to build? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the 2.4 weighs? I don't wanna be wheelieing every time I touch the gas. Thanks.

To get 140 HP out of a VW will cost more than a grand and to get 215 will cost a lot more,but you also need to calculate the cost's of the adapter plate,suspension and modifying your buggy to accept the ecotec or 2.4.We all want all the HP we can get but remember that it doesn't take a lot if the buggy is light and balanced to make it go.Also factor in what you intend on doing with the buggy,climbing,trail riding or on the street.Im a VW man but i say do whatever makes you happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 pm 

Huey wrote:
goodolboy01 wrote:
What would a comparable air cooled engine cost to build? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the 2.4 weighs? I don't wanna be wheelieing every time I touch the gas. Thanks.

My 2.2L weighs a little over 300lbs. If you run water cooled you need to run extended trailing arms. Mine are 3X3's. If you plan on competing in hill climbs then air cooled would be the better option with less weight(more money) to pack up a hill. Not saying the water cooled can't do it it just take way more effort to make a good hill climber out of it. Just come to the next hill climb and see for yourself what works :D

Yup those aircooleds are rockets in the hill climbs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:19 am 

I'm new to the buggy scene and I've been looking at watercooled mainly because of reliability and ease of maintenance.... ive got a race car i can work on all the time. I had thought i may wanna build something for the hill climb events. Are there any water cooled engines competing? If so, how do they do? Immortalsoul howd you get your hp and tq up? is it just the tune? Thanks guys for your info.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:17 am 

yea I just sent my ecu out to have to re flashed with a more aggressive generic tune. If I had my buggy dyno'd Im sure I could get some more out of it. But Im waiting for that till after i put some cams in it.

There are water cooled in the hill climbs its just the added weight hurts more then the hp helps. Those air cooled are light and makes the difference. But just to rich for my blood to build one of those engines. My hole ecotec swap was around $1300 that includes engine wiring harness sent out to enginewiring .com and the adapter plate, flywheel and stage 2 clutch, radiator.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:19 am 

Go ecotech, they are easy to get a hold of, easy to tune, proven, and reliable. A comparable vw would probably be a 4k dollar 2332 or bigger. We just did a 2.2 ecotech for a buddies dad who has been into buggies for 20 some years and they were amazed at the power of a 500 dollar engine.By the way they were running high dollar 2332's. The ecotec does add a little weight, but for a two seater it is hardly noticable. I currently have an all aluminum single seat s/c ecotech buggy. And I think it climbs great, if it had a better driver I think it would be a top contender at the hill climbs, because it does not lack in power or speed. There are some vw guy's that thinks my buggy does good too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:53 pm 

Love my ecotec! Pulls good from any rpm. Instalation is very clean and straightforward. :D

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines