It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 99 model 2.4 cav engine
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:14 pm 

just wondering if anyone has run a 99 2.4 out of a cavelier z-24.if you have,how did it work out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:00 pm 

That would be a quad 4 which is the predecessor to the gm ecotec engine. They are reasonably powerful in the twin cam version such as yours. Look up nitro mudder on here. He has one in his and likes it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 pm 

I've worked with the motors before. I have an eaton supercharged one in my '00 grand am. I know they have some oiling issues, and swapping to a 2.3L from the older quad 4 is beneficial. Probably even more important with off road use. I've heard of people losing oil pressure going around sharp corners in the cavaliers and grand ams and the like. Never have had a problem with either of the 2 cars i've had with the 2.4 though.

The supercharger kits can be found for cheap, i've seen them go for 7-800 bucks... check out some of the cavalier fourms for cheeap used parts.

Mine has a pacesetter header and cat-back, the s/c kit and I spray methanol at high boost to cool the charger and intake temps.

Should be about the same dimensions as the ecotec (spacewise), and kennedy probably has an adaptor for the 2.4... and enginewiring.com can do the wiring. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Sorry, been on the road all week. I have 2.3 quad and love it! Never given me a lick of trouble. Never had anything done to it but oil and air cleaners since it was dropped in it in 1998. It is heavier and longer then an AC VW so balance will be the main issue. No mods needed for it to fit in a berrien frame, just add a couple of motor mounts to the rear frame for strength. The ecotec is basicly the same engine in aluminum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:22 pm 

nitro_mudder wrote:
Sorry, been on the road all week. I have 2.3 quad and love it! Never given me a lick of trouble. Never had anything done to it but oil and air cleaners since it was dropped in it in 1998. It is heavier and longer then an AC VW so balance will be the main issue. No mods needed for it to fit in a berrien frame, just add a couple of motor mounts to the rear frame for strength. The ecotec is basicly the same engine in aluminum.

did you have to have the ecm re-programmed?and the harness ,did you do it yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:41 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I do not believe anything has been modified in the programming, but mines a '95. I would just plan on doing it, and if you don't need to that is a bonus!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:09 pm 

95 you run into the bastard years when they were obd1.5 still had obd2 port but some stuff was still obdI

anyone with hptuners can tune your 99 cav motor though

Board index » Tech and Fab » Water Cooled Engines