It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

Board index » General » Other Discussion.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question about truck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:58 pm 

any of you guys that have a 95 to around 2001 dodge ram automatic 360 just wantin a few inputs on wether the trannys in these truck are ok im looking at buying one next week but am not real fond on automatics i know a few guys who has had these trucks and the trannys where constintly going in them but they were a little newer than the 95 im looking at but dont want to waste money if the transmissions go easy the truck has 166k is that high for the 360 and the guy i work with says he just put a remanufactured trans in it right before they parked it its not gonna be pulling heavy loads just a trailer and buggy or a trailer and some quads and dirtbikes so any opinions would be appriciated before i purchase this truck thanks

Post subject: Re: question about truck
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm 
BOTM Winner

I would rather have a Cummins diesel in that year range with a standard transmission....the 360 is a good engine, but you will be paying for the gas like crazy, they are gas hogs, the diesel will be a lot more efficient and cheaper to run and to mention a lot more miles to go, I bet if you find one with 150k miles, it will go another 100k with no problems. The automatics in the gas and diesel dodge trucks from 95-01 usually have some kind of problem, that's why I'd rather have a manual transmission in the heavy-duty rams. If I want an automatic, I would buy a Chevy gas or diesel pickup, the Allison for the diesel are tough and the 4L80E is a tough one for the gas engines. As far as the Fords go, I would go for automatics in the gas or diesel engines, I run a standard transmission because I like to control my shifting whether I pull or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

ive got a 98 1500 with 360 and auto and it is most definantly a gas hog at around 12mpg although dragging the buggy it still got about the same however i did have to rebuild the tranny at about 90,000

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm 

thanks guys i have a 01 dodge dakota that will be my daily driver the ram will be for weekend hauling i use my dakota for pulling my buggy now and just feel the buggy is working my transmission too much and dont want to ruin the trans in the dakota gas in the ram isnt a problem for as often as i drive it i would rather have the cummins or duramax but not in the price range and already have enough loans out this truck is 1200 dollars which is right around what i have to spend just wanted some pros and cons thanks again fellas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

if it has had a tranny it is most likely okay roy, but if it is a remanufactured id be iffy, a rebuilt at a tranny shop is a little bit different.... thats what i have, but i just picked up a ranger for ddin...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:55 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

trannys suck and they get about 10mpg

Jesus loves me, but everyone else thinks im an asshole.

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 pm 

thanks im gonna pass this one up i had a weird gut feeling about it and i wouldve had to get rid of my quad and didnt wanna do that

Board index » General » Other Discussion.