It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Board index » General » Other Discussion.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gas vs diesel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:34 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

what one in the corse of a year would cost you less if you had no machanicl problems to fix just normal upkeep and fuel cost

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

Post subject: Re: gas vs diesel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:14 am 

I would have to say gas, oil and filter are dirt cheap don't have to change a $40.00 fuel filter every other oil change...With that being said i wouldn't trade my 07 duramax for one, the pulling power is un comparable :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:25 am 
WB Contributor

gas cheaper but you cant beat the diesel...sold my powerstroke 7.3 with 370,000 milles and it still ran like new,but the 14qt oil changes and fuel filters sucked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm 
WB Contributor

If you pull heavy loads often diesel is the way to go. But if you are only a weekend warrior then gas will be far less expensive. The older diesels like the 7.3 and cummins 12 valves got decent fuel mileage. Most new diesels don't get great mileage on fuel consumption.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:26 pm 

I just read that in 2014 Ram is going to use a 3.0 turbo diesel in the 1500 series. Supossed to put out 300 hp and over 400 lbs of torque and get close to 30 mpg.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 pm 
WB Contributor

We got a Ford F150 Ecoboost. 3.8 twin turbo V6 with 360hp 390 fpt. It pulls just like a diesel and gets got fuel mileage to. I wouldnt take another truck over it. It gets about 20 miles to the gallon unloaded and about 16 pulling my buggy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 pm 
WB Contributor

I will stick with my Tundra 5.7 liter it has all the power I need. I pull my toy hauler loaded with the buggy and all my stuff right at 10,000 lbs. It get fair fuel mileage at 19 highway with about 15 fully loaded. My truck has 385 horse and 400 foot pounds torque if I remember correctly. I have it almost paid for so not getting rid of it any time soon. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:11 am 
WB Contributor

Red Barron wrote:
I will stick with my Tundra 5.7 liter it has all the power I need. I pull my toy hauler loaded with the buggy and all my stuff right at 10,000 lbs. It get fair fuel mileage at 19 highway with about 15 fully loaded. My truck has 385 horse and 400 foot pounds torque if I remember correctly. I have it almost paid for so not getting rid of it any time soon. :mrgreen:

We had a tundra before the ford ecoboost and it got horrible fuel mileage. It would pull like a freight train though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 am 
BOTM winner/Master fabricator

I have a 03 Chevy 3500 crew cab dully 4 wheel drive with a 6.6 duromax diesel and i drive it every day, it gets 20 miles to a gallon. I have a 24 foot enclosed and when i pull that with the air conditioning on, i still get 20 miles to a gallon, going up hill. the power is unreal. I had a 3/4 ton Chevy with a 350 in there and it got about 15 miles to a gallon, and when i pulled my trailer, it got about 8 miles to a gallon, and the thing was a slug. the diesel fuel is always more than gas. but to drive a truck this size that price difference is worth it. the only problem, is when it does break down, it is big dollars to fix. but thats not saying these new gas motors aren't cheap to fix either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:31 am 

dont take this the wrong way but if u have to ask gas or diesel u better just stick to a gas job

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:18 pm 

is grandma thinking of buying a truck :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:41 pm 
WB Contributor

kevin f wrote:
Red Barron wrote:
I will stick with my Tundra 5.7 liter it has all the power I need. I pull my toy hauler loaded with the buggy and all my stuff right at 10,000 lbs. It get fair fuel mileage at 19 highway with about 15 fully loaded. .My truck has 385 horse and 400 foot pounds torque if I remember correctly. I have it almost paid for so not getting rid of it any time soon. :mrgreen:

We had a tundra before the ford ecoboost and it got horrible fuel mileage. It would pull like a freight train though.

If you can keep your foot out of it a Toyota Tundra does get decent mileage. I question they guy that has the Lb7 durra max who claims to get 20 mpg loaded. My LLY dura max got like 18 mpg pulling my 10000 enclosed toy hauler may have gotten 20 on the highway. Modern diesels do not get great mileage they do make a pile og horse power and torque. The manufactures have been in a war for the most power and mileage suffers.

With respect to the Ford Eco boost v6 I think the jurry will be out until they have been in production for few more years. Just to early to know what the reliability will be. Since Ford let's the customer do the bulk of their real world testing. I know this was the case with my 2008 F250 with th 6.4 diesel that was the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Ford bought it back from me under the lemon law. I also have no experience driving the echo boost since I have never driven or pulled with one.

Board index » General » Other Discussion.