It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 pm

Board index » General » Other Discussion.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:34 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

not 100% sure yet but probably fixing to have to do a rebuild and just wandering whats the best parts to go with, suncoast, ats, etc........

i know a converter and probably a valve body along with new clutches and bands are needed but was wandering if the stock shafts would hold up or do they need replaceing also???

oh and if anybody knows a good tranny shop in the florence, decatur, or cullman area of bama that would be nice also

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:47 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

come on folks, i know somebody has to have some comments, i need to get my tow rig going again

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Pm packrat2056 he is a tranny expert ! :shock: literally ! Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

My uncle rebuilt my 47re in my old '01 Cummins truck with all Mopar parts, and I put a Transtar billet converter in it... Worked great for a stock truck. I had burnt the front band out of it..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 pm 

we build our own triple disc billet converters the shafts will hold up just fine as wells as stock bands would not hurt to put in a billet or heavy duty reverse band and reverse servo those are both prone to breaking, would also reccomend using a GM epc solenoid in place of the factory mopar govenor solenoid all those 42 46 47 and 48 re and rh trans get a gill younger shift kit ...if its just acting up a little probably just needs govenor solenoid and transducer they go bad ALOT ...just shout if ya got any more questions

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

thanks for the info, i just replaced the governor solenoid and pressure sensor and it seems to be shifting normal again, however i found a piece of a wavy snap ring in the pan and the magnet was covered gunk, not to metion the fluid smelt a little burned so im thinking its on its last leg and was wanting to get some info on what needs upgraded and what brand of parts to go with as i hope to only have to do this once, that famous saying we have around here of "cry once" is what i had in mind 8)

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:09 am 

the wavy snap ring you found is from your overdrive direct clutch pack very common for breaking there is an enormous spring under the od clutch hub you actully have to disassemble the overdrive section in a press because of that spring only takes a second though ...most of are parts we keep in stock but we get them from transtar D&E or wit and we build our own converters..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i know this may be a couple of loaded questions but do you think its worth the trouble to just fix the snap ring or should i go ahead and pony up for a complete build or whats the chances of it lasting for a while longer like it is?

also ive read on the web that it will work fine till the rest of the snap ring comes out, then it wont any overdrive or reverse, and that the t-case and tailhousing can be pulled and leave the rest of the trans in the truck to fix it?

regardless its gonna have to be built sooner or later so would you suggest a prebuilt unit from somewhere such as suncoast or goerend, or just just get the good parts and let one of the local tranny shops put them in?

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:20 pm 

yep it will work fine I've never seen a whole snap ring come out....seen them break in 8 pieces or so but never come all the way out..sometimes a piece will come out and get lodged in your parking paw making your shift lever difficault or impossible to go into park. the overdrive section can be removed from the trans while still in the truck..if its still workin ok I would rock it .but its your call,next time your in Ohio swing buy and drop it off I'll have it done in a day for ya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:32 pm 

suncoast and goerend are both good units if you got like an extra $7500 bucks laying around :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:43 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

thanks pak rat for all the info, im a little more at ease about driving it now, its funny how you mentioned something about "park" though, i ive been having trouble getting it out of park on and off every since right after the factory warranty ran out, but ive been think it was the brake switch causing it, never had any trouble putting it in park though

no doubt if i were in your neck of the woods i would just drop it off, but im having a little trouble finding somebody within an hour or so drive that really knows thier shit when it come to the dodge diesel trannys, you know its kind of like building engines if you want ford to run you take it to this guy or if you want a chevy to run you take it to that guy, im sure all these trannys have there individual "weak points" that need to be addressed and when it does go in the shop i dont want to have to have it done 2 or 3 times like one guy i know did to finally get it to hold up, so that is why i was looking at the goerend and suncoast but i thought the prices were ridiculous also but the local shops have got so many "ifs, ands, or buts" and conditions/restrictions when it comes to the price and warranty that im just not sure what direction to go

when searching the diesel forums you find about as many opinions on "trannys" as you do what cam to put in a vw on here :lol:

Chris

Board index » General » Other Discussion.