It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 am

Board index » General » Other Discussion.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A little SECURITY....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:55 am 

Here is a basic security system that has all the important features of the "BIG BOY" systems without all the stuff you won't ever use. This is one version of a system that can be built 100 different ways so if someone has a question about using something different send me a PM. I will be happy to help you the best I can. These are all current EBAY auctions that I feel are a good price from a reliable seller (so the links will expire eventually) but you can always find them on there.

The recorder is a SPECO EZVR4 4 channel DVR. Here is a current EBAY link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPECO-EZVR4-VIDEO-D ... 3cb4ede3cb

Speco is a very trusted brand. Have been using them for years with no reliability issues. This is the part not to skimp or "cheap out" on. You will find cheaper DVR's but they probably won't still be working in 5 years. Very easy to use. Set the time and date and every other feature can be accessed from front panel buttons or remote. You can plug a USB stick in the front and make a direct copy of what it has recorded. It has no delete function. It just records until it is full then starts re-recording over oldest stuff. You can set the quality to adjust how much back footage it saves. Lower quality is 10+ days. High quality is 1 day. I run mine on the 3 day setting unless I am on vacation. It has a composite video output (the yellow one) so you can hook it to any TV. Make a small steel box on the wall with a padlock for it to live in (so no one can walk off with it) and pretty much forget about it unless you have a problem. They also make a similar one with full real time viewing from the net (It is about twice as expensive) if you need remote viewing for a business or other application.

This camera works very well and is the one I use on my own house.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vandal-Proof-CCTV-D ... 19c30b7a37

This camera has a variable focus lens which means you can "tune" the lens. This will give you alot more mounting flexibility as you can put the camera where you want and "dial it in" so to speak. Fixed lens cameras are not much cheaper and you are almost never happy with how they look (then you have to move the whole camera, the variable ones you just turn the knob to zoom it in or out and then re focus it with the other knob).

Here is a power supply. This will Power the DVR and all 4 cameras off of one outlet. I would still advise using a surge strip for protection of the equipment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Port-12V-DC-3A-Po ... 53e262dabb

The only other thing you need is video cable and speaker wire (for video and power) to go to each camera. The video cable you can make from a cable TV cable and a RCA to BNC adapter from radio shack. The power wire can be any 2 conductor wire that is 22 gauge or heavier. I have access to cable for cameras that has both wires (power and video) integrated together so it is easier to run. It is $.035 per foot for cable and $2.50 per BNC connector if you want them installed on ends of cable.

I hope this post helps at least one person keep some of their hard earned possessions. I have had stuff stolen out of my own driveway when I was 30 feet away inside. I have also experienced the joy of having the cops laugh at you when you ask if they are going to do anything about it. At least this way, you can go and shoot the thief yourself later. :twisted: John

Board index » General » Other Discussion.