It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 am

Board index » General » Upcoming Events

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:15 pm 

I am putting out some feelers to gage the interest of people on this forum in an Endurance Race with their buggy. The race would be held in Cleves, Ohio, near the Ohio / Kentucky / Indiana border.

Basically its a 1.5 - 2.0+ mile long course, mainly baja style (dirt, sand, gravel, some woods). We ran one last year at the club in Cleves, Ohio and are looking to add more classes and I thought maybe the buggy world would like to get in on it.

So if this interest you as being a competitor in the race reply to let me know. If there is enough interest I will make sure we add a buggy class.

Also, if any of the sponsors on here are interested in helping out / sponsoring the buggy classes let me know. We currently do not have a buggy sponsor and would like to get one if we make this happen.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:19 pm 

I forgot to mention the course is catered to the competing class. Typical courses include hill climbs, straight/flat areas for speed / passing, some obstacles, etc.

The idea is to run the course as many times in the time allotted, typically 1hour. The winner is the one with the most laps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:36 pm 

is it just vw powered ? Or what would be the rules that would play a big part. would have to make it fair for everyone :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:37 pm 
Master fabricator

You said an endurance Race. Number of laps, time duration? Perhaps a link on location would help. Yes, rules would be helpful as well. :wink:

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm 
WB Contributor

i'm assuming this race is at gravelrama! there are plenty of buggies in this area to compete if you got the word out . definately would have to lay some ground rules for the class or classes, TRUST US :lol: :lol: :lol: and you got the off-road center right down the street or drews off road to consider for sponsors. the maora series is coming to dirty turtle off road park this year in mid august,and if gravelrama falls on august 4th weekend you can forget about it cause that is our hillclimb at haspin acres :D 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm 

I heard about this race last month at Rolling W Ranch. Some one from over that way races over here in pa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:23 pm 
WB Contributor

diamonddav wrote:
i'm assuming this race is at gravelrama! there are plenty of buggies in this area to compete if you got the word out . definately would have to lay some ground rules for the class or classes, TRUST US :lol: :lol: :lol: and you got the off-road center right down the street or drews off road to consider for sponsors. the maora series is coming to dirty turtle off road park this year in mid august,and if gravelrama falls on august 4th weekend you can forget about it cause that is our hillclimb at haspin acres :D 8)

he said forget about it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
WB Contributor

http://www.gravelrama.com/Gravelrama.com/Welcome.html end of august now that would work, i would compete and several to fifteen people that i know. you just have to have a set of rules to class the buggies by :roll: :roll: use ours theres never any arguing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:42 pm 

The location is the Gravelrama grounds in Cleves, Ohio. IOK Fourwheelers about 30 minutes west of Cincy. This is the former site of Bug-in years ago.

As far as the rules go they are still under development. I personally have been writing them. Basically it works like this:
Time: 1hour minimum
Goal: Obtain as many laps as possible in that time frame.
Course: There is at least 1 checkpoint and depending on the size of the course sometimes more.
How the race works: Race around the course and stop at each checkpoint to log your progress. At each checkpoint you yell your vehicle number and take-off. We are looking into electronic race timers to do this automatically to eliminate the stopping, but it adds to the excitement. There is a designated Pit Stop area for repairs.

Penalties: Keep in mind these are still under development the IOK Rock Endurance Race Rule Book contains the latest rules and infraction amounts.

Lap, Progression = 1 checkpoint check-in
A lap will be awarded for each checkpoint “check-in”. If multiple checkpoints are present on a course a lap is then defined by the number of “check-ins” divided by the number of the checkpoint stations for a course.

Touching of Course Markers, Penalty = 1 checkpoint check-in
Will be awarded for each occurrence. The course is marked with cones, barrels, ribbon, banners, flagging, flags, etc. If the spotter, winch cable, pull strap, vehicle contents, etc. touch any marker, it will count the same as if the vehicle had touched it. For the infraction to occur the marker needs to move requiring intervention from the IOK Rock staff to replace the marker. Markers that fall due to exhaust, wind, and unstable obstacles will not count.
If a line of competitors are trailing each other and each one cross’s over the imaginary position of the course marker, assuming the marker is not replaced or moved back into its original position, only the first competitor who hit the marker will receive the penalty.

Loose Articles, Penalty = 1 checkpoint check-in or immediate disqualification
Will be awarded for articles thrown from a vehicle in competition. Depending on the resulting severity of the incident will determine the level of penalty.

Out of Bounds, Penalty = 2 checkpoint check-in
Will be awarded for driving out of bounds. You are permitted to cross the course marker but you must re-enter the course where you crossed out of bounds without receiving a penalty.
Each course has an out of bounds line determined by a stinger banner, pylons, or similar that help delineate the call for out of bounds infractions.

Sportsmanship, Penalty = 5 checkpoint check-in
Will be awarded for displaying un-sportsmanship like conduct. Un-sportsmanship conduct is defined as any rude or abrasive act towards officials, local authorities, other teams, spectators, defacing property, or displays drunken or disrespectful behavior.
Sportsmanship penalties can occur before, during, or after a competition. Depending on the severity of the incident the individual and/or the entire team may be disqualified from the current event.

The rule book also contains information about Safety and other Miscellaneous requirements for competitors. Once we have them reviewed and released I can post them here for your review. Our goal is to promote organized offroad.

We strive to create equal classes so that the competition is fair. For the endurance races we class vehicles based on vehicle, engine size, suspension type, and frame. For rail buggy's you will compete only against other rail buggy's. We are currently working on the breakdown for the rail buggy class. Our current thought is separate force air induction (i.e. - turbo) and non-forced air induction. Then we would break this down further based on engine displacement. A further breakdown would be air cooled vs. water cooled. We are not going to place a Northstar motor equip buggy against a VW single port air cooled buggy, I don't think that would be fair. In the end it really depends on the turnout at the competition. If you have any suggestions to help with the class breakdown please let me know.

Our experience in these competitions is it really depends on how well your rig is built.

BTW: My name is Frank, I am part of the younger crowd at IOK putting on the events under the IOK Rock name. My group has been hosting rock crawling events for a few years and last year we got into Endurance Races. We are still running both venues. This year we are running two Endurance Race events, April 14th and July 6th - 7th (Offroad Jamboree: Come celebrate the 4th with us).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:49 pm 
WB Contributor

well welcome to the site frank! good to see someone looking to expand the sport! i am familiar with gravelrama and all that occurs there, good time and its an all weekend event which helps, sounds like you have a good idea! i love the idea of an endurance race in a buggy. if you need suggestions on classes this is the rite place to ask! keep us posted on this,,dates and times, rules and so forth. would be glad to help ya out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 pm 

Sounds like a real good time ...and i like the rules :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm 

i ran this race last year in my jeep it was a blast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 am 
BOTM Winner

sounds like it would be a good time!! I would love to give it a shot

Board index » General » Upcoming Events