It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ring & Pinion ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:42 pm 
WB Contributor

Go to http://www.partsemporium.co.uk then...type 25 (same as vanagon) gearbox codes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 am 
BOTM Winner

kyjr.buggy1 wrote:
Lesson learned: Don't mat it 'till the back wheels make contact with the ground! :mrgreen: :lol:

-Dakotah/koko

Well, i think the oppisite was my problem! I think the wheels slowed down too much and I broke the pinion from the backside. I did get 3 years of racing out of it, which is MUCH better than alot of the guys I race with, so I must be doing something right :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:07 am 
BOTM Winner

Man, that sucks. I reckon we don't usually think to down-shift in mid air! :lol: Sounds like you got a good life out of it though. Great thing about breaking is that it means you have an excuse for the ol lady as to why you have to buy more expensive parts; you can go bigger and better so it doesn't happen again. Right? :roll: :lol:

-Dakotah/koko

-Dakotah/koko
keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:16 am 
BOTM Winner

I think ya got it all figured out! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

I need a 543 r&p bad some one help me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
BOTM Winner

call weddle :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:06 pm 

Still got that sideshifter with the 4.86 igot from ya, sedler if ya wanna buy it back?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:08 pm 

Of course the price may have went up a bit!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:28 am 
BOTM Winner

I've got the one with the 4.86 dummy, you have the 5.43!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 pm 

Dave Winterburn wrote:
I wish I could find some sort of trans info sheet as to factory improvements as to what and when. Other than just rib count or ring and pinion changes. I have a 5 rib with a shot reverse and another used one yet to try. 6 ribs are totally scarce and very pricy if you can find one.

i found one once and have never found it again.... it listed all codes and stock gears plus the ones with a stock superdiff and any internal changes.... its online somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

Ok so let me ask this it may have already been answered but im not the sharpest knife in the box. I have a 6 rib with a pretty well built motor im wanting to run 31 tractors but i wont have much 1st gear. could i put the 5.43 ring an pinion in the stock 6 rib an have a good 2nd gear to climb with??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

Money520 wrote:
Ok so let me ask this it may have already been answered but im not the sharpest knife in the box. I have a 6 rib with a pretty well built motor im wanting to run 31 tractors but i wont have much 1st gear. could i put the 5.43 ring an pinion in the stock 6 rib an have a good 2nd gear to climb with??

you will be trading for another problem. 5.43 is much weaker than stock 6 rib 4.56. You probly mean your first gear is too slow for hill climnbing and 2nd is too fast, right? Best bet is keep that r&p and buy a first/second gear set. it might cost more, but it will be MUCH stronger and how many times do you want to spend money? Break 2 5.43's and that will cost you more than a gear set!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:47 am 

Like racebug said you will have a new problem, but to anwser your question second gear is very good for climbing with 5.43 r&p. Until it breaks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:58 pm 

Just getting back in after 20 or so years away from the sport, but the view from an old guy's standpoint: In the older VW's, up through Vanagon, almost all 1-4th gear sets had the same ratios bug or bus, and would swap - 3.80 first, 2.06 second, 1.21 third and .94 fourth, if memory serves me correctly. And although some guys swore they could, if you can sit in a 5.38 and a 5.42 geared buggy and tell the difference from the seat of your pants you're a better man than me. Less than 1% difference. As to the strength, back to one of the earlier posts, for a given gear set family, the highest (lowest numerically) ratio is almost always the strongest. If you want more tire speed for climbing, best bet may be to ditch those 31" tires in favor of something taller. 33's would be about 6-7% faster, 35's about 15%. My gonzo climbing days are over and I personally like the 5.38's because they will idle over almost any rock, log, etc. but understand and appreciate the shortcomings for climbing and strength. Unless you could custom fabricate a different gear set, perhaps from a totally different brand transmission, involved machine work into 2nd and keep the 4.56 R&P, getting what you want may be next to impossible. Good luck, hard to find a trans that has it all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:22 pm 

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
Money520 wrote:

you will be trading for another problem. 5.43 is much weaker than stock 6 rib 4.56. You probly mean your first gear is too slow for hill climnbing and 2nd is too fast, right? Best bet is keep that r&p and buy a first/second gear set. it might cost more, but it will be MUCH stronger and how many times do you want to spend money? Break 2 5.43's and that will cost you more than a gear set!

So what is the fastest/best gear set for climbing that you can get for a 4.56? I bought my buggy with an already built trans (6 rib vanagon) but have no idea what the gear set is in it. Always looking to improve though!

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:32 pm 

BooBoo wrote:
RaceBugg1098 wrote:
Money520 wrote:

So what is the fastest/best gear set for climbing that you can get for a 4.56? I bought my buggy with an already built trans (6 rib vanagon) but have no idea what the gear set is in it. Always looking to improve though!

Or well I guess it would be the 4.57 gear sets is what I'm looking for.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions