It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 pm 
BOTM Winner

I have been doing research on this differential to use in my Woodsbuggy. I can not find any one who has actually used it in the car with cutter brake to determine if it is a feasiable option over the standard open differential. Any body out there using it?. I have a heavy Buggy (2500#) and would lkie to have better traction for hill climbin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:21 pm 
Global moderator

Come on Ody,,take one for the team,,,be a pioneer :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:23 pm 
BOTM Winner

Well Marty,
I really have no objection of being a pioneer. As you know I have done my share lol. To put one in my Buggy will require quite a bit of work because of all the Turbo plumbing etc. I really dont want to go thru the Expense and labor to find out that its not a good application for us. I will say that I am really close to getting one.

Firebug wrote:
Come on Ody,,take one for the team,,,be a pioneer :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:11 pm 
Global moderator

If the turning brakes will work OK then It's gotta help. Whenever I brake a cv or when I stripped bolts it was always on the passenger side,,looks like the LSD would even up the pulling. Wait,,,is LSD same drug as TBD?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:18 pm 
WB Videographer

Sherman has 1 in his cd for 3 yrs now.
You will not like it.
It will engage both tires most of the time.
Cutting brakes work but it takes alot of brake to make it disengage, he hits alot of trees.
I have seen it stuck with 1 tire spinning, but usually it pulls both sides.
We have also used the vanagon syncro locker, problem with that is it breaks axles.
Reason is: it's really locked when engaged, hit a big bump and land on 1 wheel, the other wheel acts like a big flywheel being stopped by the one that hit first. Snap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:38 pm 
Master fabricator

Maddog has a point there Ody, never thought of that situation.

G
A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:16 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote="Odyknuck"]Well Marty,
I really have no objection of being a pioneer. As you know I have done my share lol. To put one in my Buggy will require quite a bit of work because of all the Turbo plumbing etc. I really dont want to go thru the Expense and labor to find out that its not a good application for us. I will say that I am really close to getting one.

hell it will take a day just to get to the tranny. :shock: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:22 am 
BOTM Winner

davehix wrote:
Odyknuck wrote:
Well Marty,

hell it will take a day just to get to the tranny. :shock: :mrgreen:

Yea! Yea! I know! Want to help? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:27 am 
BOTM Winner

Well Its official. :o There be Peloquins in the House! :idea: Ordered up two of them for Plumberbill and I. After hours of research and uncertainty :? we decided there is only one way to find out if they will work well in our Buggys, so be it :!: :?: :| . :roll: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:36 am 
Global moderator

Odyknuck wrote:
Well Its official. :o There be Peloquins in the House! :idea: Ordered up two of them for Plumberbill and I. After hours of research and uncertainty :? we decided there is only one way to find out if they will work well in our Buggys, so be it :!: :?: :| . :roll: :shock:

Thanks fellas,,,I was thinking for a while there that I was gonna have to be the one,,,,,yall the mans :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:28 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

What is it? A locker or limited slip for a bus trans?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm 
BOTM Winner

It is a Torque biasing Differential. Similar to a limited slip. Unlike an open diff it transfers power to the wheel with the most traction. An open diff transfers power to the wheel that has the least amount of traction.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:33 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

So if I understand correctly as you aply cutter brakes it will add more power to that wheel, thus overpowering the brakes? To bad it isn't selectable like an air locker, that would allow cutters in tight places and posi type power on straight hills.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:53 pm 

nitro_mudder wrote:
So if I understand correctly as you aply cutter brakes it will add more power to that wheel, thus overpowering the brakes? To bad it isn't selectable like an air locker, that would allow cutters in tight places and posi type power on straight hills.

Actually I think your cutter would be useless because of that reason. I like the idea of an air locker too but only if its a ratcheting one. I rely way too much on my cutters especially during a climb.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:15 am 
BOTM Winner

The Cutters will still work under power however it takes more effort on the handle. The Cutters work fine when your out of the throttle.

nitro_mudder wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:17 am 
BOTM Winner

dunebuggynut wrote:
nitro_mudder wrote:

Actually I think your cutter would be useless because of that reason. I like the idea of an air locker too but only if its a ratcheting one. I rely way too much on my cutters especially during a climb.

Unless your climbing a very curvy hill then you have no need for cutters with this diff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:28 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Well ody i think you and Bill run heavy enough buggies to where you are not riding wheelies all the time on the big hills. As long as your fronts are digging in it should work good. hope it works great for you, I'll have to check it out in the spring.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:54 pm 
BOTM Winner

Correction on Cutters under power. They differential will engage the wheel and drive it unlike an open diff that allows the wheel to lock and transfers power to the other wheel. It sees cutter action as the wheel with more traction. I have suspected this however it has been confirmed by a Woodsbuggy user. You can however use the Cutters when you are not into the throttle and they work similar to an open diff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 pm 
Global moderator

I remember seeing a fella coming out of the trails at Bitter Creek and he had one axle out but still pulling with the other axle...Will this diff do this? If so it would be a neat item to have

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:45 pm 
WB Videographer

That was Sherman and yes it will.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:14 pm 
BOTM Winner

I had read somewhere that if one wheel was off the ground you would loose all traction like an open diff. Would not a broken axel be similar to a wheel off the ground?

Maddog wrote:
That was Sherman and yes it will.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:32 pm 
WB Videographer

Nope, it will still pull, he used to shear the big bolted sprocket off his chaindrive alot til he added welds to them after bitter creek.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If you cant use the cutters when under power, how you gonna climb?? How you gonna spin around tight corners, or a tree, or any obstacle? I understand how it works, and think the traction would be the shiz in a street/drag car, but in the woods, where turning tight and quick is what its all about...I dunno. You guys like to fast trail ride right?, do you not use your cutters to do this?? Not criticizing, just confused.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Larry this is my feeling also ..I don't think this will work ..nothing like coming down a hill headed for a tree slow and trying to turn to go around and drive strait in to it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 am 
Global moderator

copied from ad on ebay

There are many reasons to upgrade your OEM differential to a Peloquin torsen limited slip unit. These units will eliminate "one wheel peels" by biasing the power to the wheel with traction, rather then the one without. In a straight line, this means providing power to both wheels, rather then just whichever one breaks loose first. In a turning situation, the Peloquin Torsen differential will bias the power towards the outside wheel which has more grip, eliminating that pesky, and slow, spinning inside tire. These major traction advantages will result in a much much faster street car. Reliability is also an issue. VW Differentials, and the rivets they are held to the ring gear with, have been infamous for ages. If you run it totally stock, the rivets shear off, the ring gear then smashes a hole in your case. Swapping the rivets will work for some people- we do carry the ARP replacements, but for people making truely big power, the actual OEM differential is the next thing to fail, also usually resulting in a hole in the transmission case. For true reliability in a big horsepower situation there is no better solution then to upgrade the entire assembly to a Peloquin differential, comes with transferable lifetime warantee.

I'm still confused,,but sounds good for street cars for sure. It sounds like when turning it puts the power to the outside for you...maybe it will demand much better brakes to stop the inner wheel though :?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions