It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:56 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If I am picturing this right, it puts power to the outside wheel becase that is where the resistance/weight is located. So it should turn good without cutters compared to a posi setup. But you will need the fronts to do all of the control, I think. I think you will like it on trail riding, but the front gets lighter on hills. If it's going to cause a problem this is where it will happen. I wouldn't think it would work good on KY goat trails. But Wellsville is a different animal. I don't THINK you will like it, but won't know untill someone tries it. And like I stated before, you two have heavy buggies, which gives you much better weight on your fronts then a little KY single seater. If it's going to work for anyone it will in that style of buggy, lol, I THINK!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:46 pm 
BOTM Winner

Going downhill or letting off the throttle in a turn is not a problem. It will work in those senarios. Its when you are on the throttle that will not work. I suspect if your a little on the throttle you can use the Cutter brakes, however the harder your into the throttle the more locked the diff becomes, making the cutters actually lock it even more.

rockrockets1 wrote:
Larry this is my feeling also ..I don't think this will work ..nothing like coming down a hill headed for a tree slow and trying to turn to go around and drive strait in to it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

I am with you on all counts and that is why after finding out the new info I have not released th check for the Diffs. They are on hold pending decision.

kybuggy1 wrote:
If you cant use the cutters when under power, how you gonna climb?? How you gonna spin around tight corners, or a tree, or any obstacle? I understand how it works, and think the traction would be the shiz in a street/drag car, but in the woods, where turning tight and quick is what its all about...I dunno. You guys like to fast trail ride right?, do you not use your cutters to do this?? Not criticizing, just confused.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:57 pm 
BOTM Winner

In talking with Sherman (Peloquin user) he just powers his buggy in the turns and it works well for him. As you stated the Diff tends to put more power to the outside wheel in a turn. An open diff does a similar thing in that in a turn it tends to let the inside wheel spin slower and the outside wheel spin faster adding power around the turn. Unless the Peloquin puts most of the power to the outside (acting like a cutter brake would ) it would not be much different than an open diff in that regards.

nitro_mudder wrote:
If I am picturing this right, it puts power to the outside wheel becase that is where the resistance/weight is located. So it should turn good without cutters compared to a posi setup. But you will need the fronts to do all of the control, I think. I think you will like it on trail riding, but the front gets lighter on hills. If it's going to cause a problem this is where it will happen. I wouldn't think it would work good on KY goat trails. But Wellsville is a different animal. I don't THINK you will like it, but won't know untill someone tries it. And like I stated before, you two have heavy buggies, which gives you much better weight on your fronts then a little KY single seater. If it's going to work for anyone it will in that style of buggy, lol, I THINK!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm 
BOTM Winner

Maddog can you get Sherman to join this discussion? I think it would be prudent to have him on board. It appears we have more than a few Interested in this diff and would like to also know if its worth changing out the atiquated open diff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:33 pm 
WB Videographer

He really doesn't have a computer, just one of those web tv things.
I called him, he's gonna try tonite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

so what have we decided steve?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm 
Global moderator

I'm not sure ,,but I think a person could learn to drive a buggy with this type diff. I really like the way you can hobble back to camp with one axle. But it is way back on my wish list,,,,,,for now :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 am 
BOTM Winner

Its still in the Works. We are going to start with one and do some field testing to determine if in fact they are a viable alternative for us Woodsbuggy Owners.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:32 am 
Global moderator

Odyknuck wrote:
Its still in the Works. We are going to start with one and do some field testing to determine if in fact they are a viable alternative for us Woodsbuggy Owners.

Great Ody,,,thanks :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

i went into live chat and looked at previous convo, and your boy sherman was in there, i don't think he realized to come to the forum and not the live chat. he was looking for eric? is that you maddog?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 am 
WB Videographer

Nope,I'm Bill.
Don't know who eric is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:07 pm 

hhmmmm.... i see some one spent a few dollars and bought one of these...it looks really stout... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:54 am 
BOTM Winner

how bout some feedback! Was it worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 am 

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
how bout some feedback! Was it worth it?

its ody's.... i just got to ck it out when i dropped my trans of to get built....i dont honestly see anyone breaking one anytime soon that for sure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 am 
BOTM Winner

Yep that be mine. Had Brian put all new Weddle close ratio gears along with the LSD. Don't know when I will get to test it due to to many projects I have going. When I do I will post its performance. I had bought another midshift so i would not have to take the one out of my Buggy for the build. So when i get the time I will swap them out. Now if someone was to volenteer to come to do it I would be eternally grateful lol.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm 
BOTM Winner

if you can wait till next winter I'd be happy to help ya

**********"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

bring it to wellsville,we changed firebugs out when his broke.not wishing you any bad luck but if yours does go out you'll have plenty of help with the change.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm 
BOTM Winner

Sure feels like next winter outside to me. Your not here yet?

plumberbill wrote:
if you can wait till next winter I'd be happy to help ya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yea I know , I was there. Something about working in the dirt during a Buggy dust storm just does not appeal to me! :roll: :mrgreen: I like things like a floor and jacks, jack stands, air compressor and air tools. And did I mention lights? etc.

gasman wrote:
bring it to wellsville,we changed firebugs out when his broke.not wishing you any bad luck but if yours does go out you'll have plenty of help with the change.chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 am 

Did you ever get to test the differential, how did it do?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions