It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Universal Super diff??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:34 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I know jack about VW trannies so have a little mercy on me for asking such a greenhorn question:

A buddy of mine has just acquired a 3-rib with a super diff in it. He is currently running a 6-rib, as does most of our crew. He likes the gearing of the 6-rib and wants to stay with it. Theres no way he'd go back to the 3-rib gearing, but he got this thing as boot in a trade. He was told that the super diff will work in a 6-rib also. Does this sound right??

I've heard before that some things will transfer between 3- and 5-ribs, but not with the 6-rib.

Has anyone heard of a super diff that will fit all three?

If not, we will probably have the superdiff put in a 5 rib he's got laying around. Who knows , he may like a little lower gearing since his motor is on the smaller end of strokers (2110, stock-length rods).

Thanks,
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 am 

I AM RUNNING A 6RIB SUPER DIF IN MY 5 RIB IT MAY WORK BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO RUN THE AXEL FLANGE OFF THE SUPERDIF IF THERE DIFFERENT AND CHANGE THE RING GEAR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:45 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='kybuggy1']I know jack about VW trannies so have a little mercy on me for asking such a greenhorn question:

A buddy of mine has just acquired a 3-rib with a super diff in it. He is currently running a 6-rib, as does most of our crew. He likes the gearing of the 6-rib and wants to stay with it. Theres no way he'd go back to the 3-rib gearing, but he got this thing as boot in a trade. He was told that the super diff will work in a 6-rib also. Does this sound right??

I've heard befo

Buy the best and cry once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:32 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Thanks a bunch, guys!! I'll tear em down and see what we got.

Even if it is a 3-rib superdiff, and the strength gain over a stock 6-rib diff would be minimal, shouldnt it still make the 6-rib more like "limited slip" and deliver more power to the ground? (Not actually more power, just better bite with both wheels trying to pull )

I think it will, but I dont want to tell him wrong.

When I had my superdiff and first/second gears from Weddle installed in my 6-rib 2 years ago, it made a hell of a difference in both tires getting bite. The guy at Weddle told me I got lucky and called when they had a complete German 4spider chromoly diff in stock. It was used, but he admitted that they were stronger even than the one Weddle manufactures. No problems yet behind a 2387 and a heavy foot, so maybe he wasnt lying to me!

Sorry again for the dumb question, but I know my buddy will ask :lol: !

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 pm 
BOTM Winner

[quote='kybuggy1']Thanks a bunch, guys!! I'll tear em down and see what we got.

Even if it is a 3-rib superdiff, and the strength gain over a stock 6-rib diff would be minimal, shouldnt it still make the 6-rib more like "limited slip" and deliver more power to the ground? (Not actually more power, just better bite with both wheels trying to pull )

I think it will, but I dont want to tell him wrong.

When I had my superdiff and first/second gears from Weddle installed in my 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Got a good look for myself at the 3-rib w/ the superdiff yesterday. It does have the same size output shafts as the stock 5-rib and stock 3-rib. :(

But , it does have 930 drive flanges on it! They have two bolt-patterns on them , actually. The other bolt pattern is type 2. So he still came out pretty good on it , IMO.

Thanks again for your help Roy and virgilablack.

Larry

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions