It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

I've not torn into my broken 3-rib (from D&K), but with not having any gears( forward or reverse), my assumption would be the spider gears, right? Well anyway, I do have a spare 3-rib to put in right now I hope is good. With all this talk of the gainded stregnth oh the super diff I was thinking of going that direction. Where should I be shoping for these parts? Also, with my minimal trans work, whats the dificulty of installing one. Pros only? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:52 pm 

There are several places.. I get mine from Weddle 805-562-8600. I prefer the German factory ones over the cast cheaper ones.
If you put in a superdiff, 1st gear (or the R&P) will be the next to break. 3-ribs are pretty weak, imo. As for installing one, it is pretty easy as you will only need to reset backlash and pre-load. The german diffs Weddle sells are originally ouf of 6-rib transmissions, but will fit into the 3-rib case as long as you use the other related parts (they have a kit), which includes bells, side screw bearing race retainers, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:13 pm 

will this require special trans tools?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:41 am 
BOTM Winner

Yes it requires special tool to un=screw the bearing retainers on the sides. You can buy this tool from Weddle or make your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:33 pm 

Well, I got what I'm assuming is the bearing retainers out. I thought once this was out the diff would be able to com out. Un less there is a trick I'm assuming you have to take the pinion out to get it out. Right? How does it come out. I played around with the nose cone and everything. What am I missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:49 am 
BOTM Winner

All you have to do is pull off the bell housing, then remove the snap ring that holds the input shaft coupler on. Slide the input shaft coupler back about an inch and unscrew the input shaft and remove it. Then the diff. section will come right out. You will have to make sure the bearing race retainers are completely removed. Once the diff section is out, you can take it apart by removing the bolts that hold the ring gear on.

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:17 pm 

I don't know why I kept saying pinion, but yes the input shaft. I was hoping that I didn't have to take that snap ring off. It looks like it will be a pain to get back on. I might have to scrap my junk snap ring pliers and get new ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:24 pm 

[quote='A. Cole']I don't know why I kept saying pinion, but yes the input shaft. I was hoping that I didn't have to take that snap ring off. It looks like it will be a pain to get back on. I might have to scrap my junk snap ring pliers and get new ones.[/quote]

The snap ring is easier to get back on then to remove. Leave it on the shaft..just slide it back towards the engine, slide the coupler back and un-screw. You can use a screwdriver and gently tap it back into the groove..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:52 pm 

I appreciate all the help guys.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions