It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bus tranny installation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 pm 
Global moderator

I have a 63 beetle and want to put an 81 bus auto tranny in it. I need some pointers on installation. thanks,,, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 am 

Is there any particular reason you are wanting to use a Bus Tranny in your Beetle? Unless you are going to run 44 inch Super Swamper Tires, this tranny will be geared extremely low for a Beetle. The Bus mount kits for the Beetle Chassis' are for the front nose shifted trannys like the early 3,5, and 6 ribs. Even using one of these trannys the shifting mechanism is much higher on the Bus tranny than the Beetle tranny. You have to do some modifications to the body, and shifting linkage for one of them to work. Your 81 tranny is probably a side shift one, and you will have to custom make a mount and shifting linkage. You could get the rear cradle from the early Bus mount kits, but everything else will have to be custom made. Also, your 63 Beetle had a Swing Axle tranny stock, and the Bus tranny is an IRS style with the CV Joints. You will need to weld in IRS mounts, and get all of the IRS suspension arms and springplates to make your chassis IRS. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would stick with the Beetle tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:05 am 
WB Videographer

cool go for marty,tell us how it works,he must not can read it says automatic,no linkage to mess with,jus weld in some irs mounts and go 4 it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:44 am 

Yeah, sorry about that, I guess it does say auto tranny. I've never heard of anyone installing an auto tranny, so I just assumed it was a maual. You know what they say about assuming things LOL. The final drive for those aren't quite as low as the manuals. There are parts available for the suspension stuff, but everything else associated with the tranny you'll have to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:05 am 
BOTM Winner

I will bet it has been done by someone over the years. It might be tough to find information on this swap but I am sure there is some info on it somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:56 pm 
Global moderator

The bug is already converted to IRS. I should have stated that. I may indeed need to do some work on the hump to fit it in. I want the low gears to make the little bug peppy. And I want it auto so My wife don't have to mess with shifting. I have some conversion axle shafts and may need to shorten one, because I understand one is shorter on the vanagon. I know some of you are running bus automatics and was wondering if there are problems mounting where a beetle IRS tranny was. thanks,, for alllllll replys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:15 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

the 81 bus is geared 4.56 just like a 6 rib a auto is geared a little higher gkeeton you have to run a gear reduction [like on a cd] to run 44

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:27 am 

Yes, I do relize the auto trans are geared higher than the manuals. As chris38375, and I noted earlier, I misread that he was asking info about an auto trans. Any info I have found on the Bus auto's lists thier R&P to be 4.09. This is a lot higher than the factory 4.37 that would have been in the 63 Beetle from the factory. If you are looking for a fully auto trans, I would try and locate an automatic from a Type 3. This would have the same rear suspension as a Beetle, and all you would have to do is get the stock halfshaft axles from the car you get the trans from to work. Also, Type 3's used the same engines as the Beetle's, and I would think this would be easier to get a torque converter and flexplate that would mate up to your engine. Any automatic Buses Beetles, or Type 3's I have driven have been pretty much slugs. I don't think installing the auto trans is going to make the car any more peppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:31 am 
Global moderator

Wow ,,lots of great info here. Let me throw a little more information. I have a 68 IRS manual tranny as my other option. I chose the bus auto thinking it would be a little lower geared than the 68 IRS manual. Plus I want auto. I will run a 1800 carbed suby for now but when I upgrade my woodsbuggy I wil put my ej22 efi engine on the 63 chop top. I was wanting to do this with what I have. I like the idea of easier swap but am limited to what I have pretty much. thanks,,, :?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions