It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:43 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Found a "barnfind", sort of. Its an '87 Vanagon, fully automatic, waterboxer motor, a/c and all. Was a daily driver until motor went down. I was told (by the wife, so accuracy here is still debatable) they didnt put antifreeze in it (Gotta love waterpumpers :twisted: ) and it froze up last winter. Gotta go back this weekend to talk to the husband. I'll drag it home and get it fired up to see what the deal is.

Anyways my question is: Isn't this the same auto tranny alot of chainpushers run?

The lady also said they have a spare motor that will come with it. What displacement are these waterboxers? 2.0L? Any of you waterheads running these? Thinking about buying it to part out, and scarf the type 2 CV's for my son to have some spares. Body and interior is still pretty nice, if you like crackerboxes.

Was hoping it was a six rib or something when I first saw it, but I'll get it anyways if someone can make use of the motors. Probably keep the tranny for a while, got a little project in mind. Gotta see how well my wife does with her 6 rib next spring, first. They were about to sell it to a junkyard!

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:49 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

go a head say it you want a chaindrive don't ya. Thats why you keeping that trany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I got nothing against 'em, but the only reason I'd want ANY form of one is to make my wife more comfortable with stopping and starting on steep trails. If I thought this auto would live very long running it directly, w/o fooling w/ gear reduction thru chains, I'd damn sure do it. I like light, nimble , high power-to-weight ratio buggies, so no , I'll not be in a chaindrive until I get too fat to fit in my single-seater. I think all this has been discussed in Trash Talk plenty, so please....

DONT STEAL MY THREAD, I NEED SOME REAL INFO!!!

Since you are a chaindriver, maybe you could actually contribute some info instead of just stirring sh!t, and tell what you know if anything about this tranny and motor..hmmm?

Thanks, Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

KY I was not trying to steal your thread just messing with you mr burns runs a bus motor in a lot of his buggys he turbo's them any thing you need help with on getting your wifes going i'll be glad to help my wife loves her Chaindrive . and yea thats one of the tranys that we use they have to be modafied a bit so they will stand up to the torcher you can also use a audi 5000 trany and them 2.0L motors have hyd lifters they are strong stock and if you turbo one she will realy get the job done. but like I said I was just messing with you. yall should'nt be so up tight man I'm just having fun

steal your thread HA what would I do with it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:06 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Its cool, Rockr, I tend to get a little uptight when waiting on some info. I just have tons of patience :twisted: :lol: ! I figured I'd get a lot of info real quick, and it took me all day just to get a funny response. :roll: I guess everybody's gone ridin' and not on their computers!! Or working, like I should be :twisted: .

I talked to Mr. Burns about type 4's at D&K for a little bit one day. They sounded great for a trail buggy, but I already have built her a 2276 w/ dual dell's. And we were talking ac type 4. I know even less about wc type 4. I doubt I'll use the engines, aint dealing w/ a radiator and all that crap, but would like to know more about them. Already looked at some websites, but they are not specific enough. Nothing like a fellow woodsbuggy rider's first hand knowledge!

How similiar are the waterboxers to the the other type 4, as far as internals and what will fit them (carbs,exhaust, etc.) Same cranks and rods and pistons? I know they all have tons of grunt, even stock, but DAMN they are ugly, even with the upright conversion! :D (No offense to anyone, but I think an all new, chromed out or polished AL dual carbed type I is the coolest looking motor there is outside of a 6-pack 340 in a show 'Cuda.)

We have a pretty slick tranny guy here at the dealership I work for, he said he could rebuild it stock, no problem. And I know it needs to be drilled and tapped for external cooling, but I dont know where to even do that at. Or where to get a better torque converter. What else needs to be done? Or is that classified Burns Chaindrive info? I'd like to get an idea what kinda $$ in the tranny it will take before I get very far with a conversion, 'cause if its a ton, she's gonna have to learn to deal with the 6-rib :D !

Thanks,Larry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:00 pm 

dont get me wrong--i love vw. my motor is built strong,but im tired of tearing up trannys. i am currently running a 5 -- its tough but reverse has been out since last year---makes things challenging

I love my country, But i fear my government

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:12 pm 
BOTM Winner

a 5rib is weaker then a 3rib build a good 6 rib its the way to go iv beat the hell out of mine 4 3 years had 2 change rev 1 time and that was caus i used my 2 step in rev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:28 am 
BOTM Winner

what makes a 5-rib weaker than a 3-rib? they have the same weak r&p. if im not mistaken, most 3 ribs have a 10 tooth first gear, and 5-ribs have a 9 tooth. is that correct? if built properly, a 3 or 5 (002), will be stronger than a stock 6-rib.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:45 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

[quote='RaceBugg1098']what makes a 5-rib weaker than a 3-rib? they have the same weak r&p. if im not mistaken, most 3 ribs have a 10 tooth first gear, and 5-ribs have a 9 tooth. is that correct? if built properly, a 3 or 5 (002), will be stronger than a stock 6-rib.[/quote]

There are 3 different 3 rib trannys.
Last version is considered an 002 with a 5:375 R&P and the better 1st.
5 rib has a 4:86 and the better 1st.
No way it is weaker than a 3 rib in stock form.

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:49 pm 
BOTM Winner

the latest 3 rib and the 5 rib share the same intermidate housing (bearing carrier) with the serial # ending with an "A", correct? and i believe it is interchangable (if not the same) as the 091. but i didn't think the 3 rib ever came with a 9 tooth first gear. does this sound right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:05 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I'm pretty sure the 3 rib that came with the pancake engine had the 3:78 1st or as you put it 9 tooth 1st gear.
That would be the 3rd revision 3 rib.
It is an 002 tranny vs the earlier versions that had Beetle gears in them, the 113.

Turbo VW Sand Racer
Polaris Ranger

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"

Davis Motorsports FaceBook Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:42 pm 
[quote='RaceBugg1098']the latest 3 rib and the 5 rib share the same intermidate housing (bearing carrier) with the serial # ending with an "A", correct? and i believe it is interchangable (if not the same) as the 091. does this sound right?[/quote]

NO they are not the same. (091 is different)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:43 am 

The water boxer engines were actually a spin off of the T1. all the internals of the t1 fit in it. the only difference is the water jackets and the heads. they even go as far as cutting off the water jackets and using the case with air cooled parts. the advantage to this is the case is aluminum. and stock is larger for longer strokes. Plus a oil filter right on the case!

Here is a link http://www.rockyjennings.com/waterboxer_to_air.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:16 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Wow! Thanks for the link. Will have to check into that some more.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:32 am 

its pretty cool. i mean granted there not t totally the same but there darn close. If you go to there main page you can see where they fit a stock case with 105 mm pistons.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions