It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:28 pm 

Hello Everyone,
I know I'm wearing you guys out with questions. I really appreciate the help everyone has given me.

I was out in the shop tinkering with the new-to-me buggy that I inherited 3 weeks ago when my dad passed. I started it up and tried to put it in gear. It won't go into any forward gears at all. It will go into reverse just fine. As far as I know this buggy was running fine when it was last parked. I know it has been run hard or trashed at all since my dad has had it so I feel pretty confident nothing has broke. When I picked it up at dad's house we didn't even start it then. We just rolled it up on a trailer, hauled it to my house, and rolled it into the shop.

I watched gear selector shaft on the front of the transmission as I tried to get it into forward gears. You can see that the shaft is shiny as if it should go farther into the transmission. Pushing pretty hard on the gear shifter there is still about an 1/8 of an inch of shiny exposed.

I know the clutch is functioning as it will go into reverse just fine. Like I said I don't think anything has magically broke as the buggy has been ridden. Dad was very sick for over 2 years before he passed so it's pretty much sit for that long. I'm pretty sure it's been started a few times but I'm sure it has not been ridden.

So can you guys give me some guidance for things to check out. I'm new to this VW stuff but I catch on pretty quick with a little help...lol

Greg

3 rib tranny
My first "real" rail buggy...lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:59 pm 

The first thing that I would check is shifter adjustment, loosen shifter bolts and put shifter in reverse, then move shifter to center of adjustment.
Good Luck
Kenric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 am 

X2.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:21 am 

Thanks for the replies fellas! I looked at several shifter adjustment how-to articles on the ol' interwebs. It looks like a pretty straightforward deal. I may try it tomorrow after church.

I haven't even tried to ride the buggy at all. It needs a brake master cylinder. I've got one ordered from Amazon for it. I've got plenty of time to fix the few little problems it has. I probably won't try to ride it till it warms up a lot.

Thanks again. I'll report back in a few days on what happens with the adjustment.

Greg

3 rib tranny
My first "real" rail buggy...lol

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions