It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 pm 

When I posted the pics and intro of my rail buggy the other day someone suggested I needed a hydraulic clutch. So I started searching the interwebs and looking at the different pedal systems. I noticed that some are bottom mounted like the stock pedals and others are top hung.

So my question is this: Other than price what are the pros and cons of top vs bottom pedals? Which do you have and how do you like it vs the other?

I'm not so much concerned with the fabrication and installation side of it as much as I am with the "how it feels and how it works" part. I appreciate any incite you folks can give...

Greg

3 rib tranny
My first "real" rail buggy...lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:47 pm 

I have seen guys hang them. So maybe someone will give you some input. But the way I look at it in a car you set up and push down so it feels good. In a buggy your legs are about straight out so I don't think it would feel right. Also think you would be moving your feet more pushing the pedals.

I would get a set of cnc pedals and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:32 am 

I have top hung Wilwood pedals in my bug it has a flat floor with an off-road style seat they work great for me. The only thing is I don't know how it will look in a rail buggy they may stick up kinda of high for you. Some of the pedals you can flip from floor mount to hanging top mount. Gas pedal would most likely still be a floor mount

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:17 am 

medic265 wrote:
When I posted the pics and intro of my rail buggy the other day someone suggested I needed a hydraulic clutch. So I started searching the interwebs and looking at the different pedal systems. I noticed that some are bottom mounted like the stock pedals and others are top hung.

So my question is this: Other than price what are the pros and cons of top vs bottom pedals? Which do you have and how do you like it vs the other?

I'm not so much concerned with the fabrication and installation side of it as much as I am with the "how it feels and how it works" part. I appreciate any incite you folks can give...

Greg

My 2 cents worth:

I like non-floor mounted pedals like my truck and car, but
floor mounted pedals follow the same "natural" arc as a person's
ankles.
Some people may want to consider what happens in a collision.
Since I was hit head-on in a buggy, I can tell you that your feet
need somewhere to go. Since I was only wearing a four-point
harness, my body slid forward and my feet and legs were wedged
between the pedals and the frame. I was trapped until rescued.
Nothing happened at all to my feet or leg bones except heavy bruising (I did fracture my pelvis),
but oddly enough I lost both shoes and socks and I do not know
why.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:23 am 
WB Contributor

Wow! hate to hear that. But Top mt. would keep them out of deep mud puddles and creeks down here. We cross the Cahaba River in the warmer months and water loves to find its way into split boots and hold the water all week. Put a little angle in them to match the natural travel of your legs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:19 pm 

I've just switched to top mounts, I don't like the bottom mounts for two reasons:

a) They make you use the arc and muscles from your ankle to push the pedal squarely, rather than the almost straight push you get from using your thigh muscles as well as you do with top mounts - which makes heavy clutch covers a complete pain, literally.
b) Being on the floor of the buggy the linkages always get covered in shite, and they need frequent maintance and new bushes regularly, otherwise you get a shedload of hysterisis and inconsistant controls.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:15 pm 

I like top hung as well. I don't have to extend my ankle like I am doing a calf raise to push clutch that last little but anymore like Phillip said. Took my standard floor mount cnc pedals and turned cylinders upside down. Works great and yes stays much cleaner as well.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions