It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Triple disc clutch setup
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:45 pm 
Southern Buggys / WB Sponsor

Thinking about running a triple disc setup on my 300 HP Honda, the kennedy stage 4 and all the clutches are not allowing me to slip the clutch the way I want to with this 2.17 second gear. Just wondering if anyone has ran one of these setups and what your reviews are.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55 am 

I run multi disc clutches in the rally cars, but they're not very forgiving for slipping them because the wear rate per disc gets very high, in fact they're worse than a single disc, because you have more surfaces wearing at once, and if you're deliberately slipping them the heat load on the disc surfaces rapidly builds to the same level anyway.

How come you need to slip the clutch so much with 300bhp :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:27 pm 

I like to load up the drivetrain before launch instead of dropping the clutch. While climbing instead of coming out of the throttle I preferr to slip the clutch when front end control is needed rather then letting in and out of the throttle due to shock load at the tires, maintains traction. Don't use brakes because I don't want to lose momentum.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm 

RDB#3 wrote:
I like to load up the drivetrain before launch instead of dropping the clutch. While climbing instead of coming out of the throttle I preferr to slip the clutch when front end control is needed rather then letting in and out of the throttle due to shock load at the tires, maintains traction. Don't use brakes because I don't want to lose momentum.

2stroke style :)

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:34 pm 

In that case I'd have someone make you a disc with thicker cerametallic pads and skim the flywheel/alter the release bearing to suit the new stack height, you should be able to get rivet-on pads up to 6mm thick for rally use.

Alternatively, if you find the shunt from the driveline/engine drag so bad (I know it's been an issue for us sometimes in the fiddly stuff), you could remap the motor with the throttle cranked as far open as you can stand and the timing pulled right out to control the idle speed (used to run the rotary at 10 to 15* after TDC at idle setup like that), that takes a lot of the harshness out of the transition on and off the throttle but you'll get less engine braking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:17 pm 

Psycho Alpha wrote:
RDB#3 wrote:

2stroke style :)

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."--Abraham Lincoln

Old habits die hard! I did get a little laughter out of that comment.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:18 pm 

Thanks Phillip

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 am 

No problem, might save you a few $$'s on clutches, that trick with the idle helps more than you'd imagine. :D

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions