It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shifting linkage trouble
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:36 pm 

Ok guys I need to pick some brains. Here's some base info before I start: 6Rib vanagon, nose shift.

Ok. My tranny got stuck in 3rd gear while I was trying to shift to reverse. I pulled the tranny and took the nose cone off and found the shifting rod (I guess that's what it's called) out for third gear, but the flat piece that actually pulls the rod in and out was lodged beside of the rod instead of inside the notch in the rod.

I've never seen this happen before and I don't understand what caused it or if I need to replace something to keep this from happening again?? Sorry I don't have any pics, I forgot to take some when I opened up the nose cone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:43 am 
WB Contributor

My guess... Sloppy shifting to 3rd was always my 1st sign of a pinion nut going bad or loose. Look behind the pinion with a good flash lite and see if the roller bearings are bunching up to one side. Check binding when you grab both output flanges while rotating in gear (4th is better, it's harder to turn). Check slop between ring and pinion gears. While the nose cone is off , check for wo out shaft bearings for slop. Is the 1/2 moon key slot wollered out or missing, causing the bearing to rotate? Basicly wobbly shafts make the selector forks and sliders off center. Just MY guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 am 
BOTM Winner

make sure nothing with your "shift rod pusher/puller" (forgot what its called) is bent and the springs are all in place. if everything is right, it should never be able to go past a shift rod. do you think you forced it? was it popping in or out of gear before this happened?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions