It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New transmission options
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:49 pm 

Alright been running beetle tranaxles and they just won't hold up. Gone through quite a few now and getting ready to upgrade. For what i do i don't mind the high gear ratio of a beetle/super beetle, its all offroad but i never used a bus trans so i have no idea on what to expect. No matter what it is i will adapt. Have been talking to a few people and just looking for more opinions. I run a lil 1641 dp in a race environment and need something that i won't have to change trannies every damn race like i have been. Looking to upgrade to the best stock bus trans i can. I don't want to go anything weddle or build for a little bit. What im curious of is do you think a 6rib nosecone shift or even a later sideshift is too steep for my little motor. I want something with a reverse that i can actually use and gears that will take a lot more abuse.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:09 am 

With a 1641 a 3 rib should be fine. It is the cheapest and easiest to find but also the weakest but I've been running them for years right now I'm running a 2165cc with 33s and it holds up pretty good so far Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:07 pm 
BOTM Winner

The key to your application is the ring gear ratio. The first through fourth ratios are all similar in all the transaxles so the big difference is the final drive ratio. What you are used to running is the beetle trans which has either a 4:12 or a 3:88 gear. Changing to a bus trans will actually help you if you are running a small displacement engine. A 6 rib nose cone shift is a good choice and it has a 4:56 gear which you will like for racing. The only thing about this trans is it still has a weak reverse gear. If you want to use a bus trans that has a strong reverse, you will need to switch to a side shift 094. Not sure what ring gear ratios came in these. Someone else on here will know.

Keep this in mind.................... :arrow:

No VW transaxle will hold up to racing in stock form. There are some basic things you can do to help them out. Mainshaft bearing thrust plate is a must, steel shift bushing, chromoly gland nut and a super diff are the bare minimum. Adding a torsional input shaft is a great investment! Good quality racing oil cushions the gears from shock. If you want your bus trans to last more than 2 races, you will need to spend a couple dollars on it before you race it.

Roy

Buy the best and cry once.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:42 pm 

I have been considering the late 84-91 sideshift, found a guy that has one is a vanagon and hasn't gotten back to me on a price yet nor had the chance to pull it, not sure on year. Also talking to a guy with a 6 rib nosecone shift out of a 78 camper and he wants 400 for it. He pull it back in the late 80's and was a vw tech back in the day. I figured it would be an improvement with my small motor because of my car trans being geared so high. I know and i do plan on eventually doing some slight building to one but not for a little. Probably just get one to get drop in and slowly find another and put money into that but thats a few months down the line. I know i can figure out the shifter linkage on a sideshift and just copy weddle's design like other's have but just pick up their "socket" to have something i can build off of.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 pm 

[quote="Hunter71495"]Also talking to a guy with a 6 rib nosecone shift out of a 78 camper and he wants 400 for it. He pull it back in quote]

Shoot I would buy that even if you do not plain on running a nosecone, Buy it, Sell it and put the extra cash you make towards a side shift, they are a 100 bucks a rib

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:22 pm 

Might just buy it and toss it under a shelf. Never know.... :mrgreen: Supply and demand!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:51 pm 

You know Roy , we don't back up. Lol

Dirtdobber

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions