It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 pm 

Building my 2.4 Ecotec and I have a Kennedy Engineering 200mm Stage 3 6-puck clutch and pressure plate. This is a reliable family weekend buggy, not looking to go hardcore jumping climbing or dumping the clutch at full throttle. What should I expect from this clutch & PP? Is it too aggressive for putt putt'n? I going to be experiencing a lot of chatter? I've also heard a school of thought that says its better to have a little clutch slip as it prevents damage to the trans when your right foot takes over. What are your thoughts/experience?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm 

A stage one pressure plate with a kush-loc disc would be perfect.. plenty of grab and still drivable

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 pm 

Stage 2 and kush-lock.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:59 pm 
Master fabricator

Stage 2 with an organic disc, anything more is waste. IMO A stage 3 with a 6 puck is more of an off/on switch that should only be used with a win at all cost or trash it attitude. I was the tow truck in our group, if you needed towed out, I did it all with the mentioned parts.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm 
BOTM Winner

I always ran a stage 1 with a rigid 4 ouck in my race buggy. for the sake of argument, lets call it 180 ft pounds air cooled. When I switched to the suby, I put in a stage 2 ALUMINUM PP with a rigid 4 puck. The suby had (on paper) about the same torque as the air cooled. that stage 2 lasted about 5 minutes. melted down. I wouldnt go any heavier than a stage 2 just for comfort. you WILL feel it in your leg especally on a long ride. anyway, moral of the story, the aluminum PP are NOT rated the same as steel. just fyi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:42 pm 

Appreciate the informative feedback. PS - there will be a brand new never used Stage 3 for sale in the classifieds soon ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:10 pm 

Stage 3 and a four puck for me and still cant get that long out of them..for the wood i dont see how a 1 or 2 work at all Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:38 pm 
WB Contributor

Stage 4 3000lb. Kennedy With daiken clutch disc ( japan )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:46 pm 
WB Competitor

ron wrote:
Stage 4 3000lb. Kennedy With daiken clutch disc ( japan )

x2 thats what i run...works real good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:18 pm 

Stage 3 with a 4 puck here, used to kill the discs every 5-6 months though, and a PP every 12 months.

Now on a 230mm clutch, see if this one lasts :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:38 pm 
BOTM Winner

I run a stage 3 with CB Performance combo clutch. It is organic on one side and an 8 puck on the other, so far so good. I have burnt up stage 2 and a 6 puck twice. A Daiken Super clutch burnt up Super quick! I do have a lot of weight to push so that is a bearing factor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 pm 
WB Contributor

Ody, how long have you run the cb clutch disk. I am having Chuck rebuild my 6 rib with all Weddle gears and shafts. So I be able to handle more clutch with my Honda v6. I am currently running a Cush lock with a KEP stage 1 10" clutch plate. Like the plate just thinking a better disk will eliminate some slip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:12 pm 

MadMike wrote:
Stage 2 with an organic disc, anything more is waste. IMO A stage 3 with a 6 puck is more of an off/on switch that should only be used with a win at all cost or trash it attitude. I was the tow truck in our group, if you needed towed out, I did it all with the mentioned parts.

x2, I run the exact setup with the Ecotec and absolutely no trouble, period. If you got the kit from Kennedy with the adaptor they should exchange it if you want something different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:42 pm 
BOTM Winner

Red Barron wrote:
Ody, how long have you run the cb clutch disk. I am having Chuck rebuild my 6 rib with all Weddle gears and shafts. So I be able to handle more clutch with my Honda v6. I am currently running a Cush lock with a KEP stage 1 10" clutch plate. Like the plate just thinking a better disk will eliminate some slip

I ran it all last season. It still worked fine at the end so I am going to run it again. I have had no slipping yet so I am good to go. Time will tell. Note the CB clutch is over a 100 bucks so it's not cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 am 
WB Contributor

Nothing worth running is cheap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:08 am 
WB Contributor

Talking to w/c people.After a dozen posts and a dozen opinions considering price, longevity, or destruction of trans, now some of you can consider the stock Passat w/c idea with NOTHING to buy or ponder. I'm still running around with the same junk yard 245 mm disc, press plate, 10 bolt flywheel, trans, slave cyl and starter with no adapter kit, Weedle parts, leaky oil systems, rocket fuel or 4 diffs. Boom!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:32 am 

Yep, but for us it'd be slow and heavy as shit :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:45 am 
WB Contributor

So I changed the subject a little, but a stock bus cv shaft and an irs diff is all the extra weight. The fwd is a little liter than a 6 rib. 8) And with the extra ground clearance I do not have a skid plate underneath.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 am 

Red Barron wrote:

How are you coming up with a 10" plate?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 pm 

I've been running a stage 3 with a Kush Lock since 2008 trouble free. Although I am just a trail rider. Now I'm starting to build a 4 seater and it will run the same setup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:55 pm 
WB Contributor

mines air cooled but... i run stage 2 kennedy pres plate with cush disk....last one i put in was the hd rigid but same as cush...the new cush i got was super thin and cheap compared to previous ones of same brand and vendor,so went with the rigid its like the older thicker cush

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 pm 

Everyone has different opinions, my 4 seater is 2275 ,6 rib stock 35 boggers half tread- stage 2- 4 puck is been great for me. Climbing and riding family around

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:40 pm 

I have been watching this post for a while and get to smile every time I see you all spending big money on a clutch and pressure plate. I am not sure how the manufactures rate there pressure plates but my buggy weighs in at 1500 pounds and I put a 1700 pound pressure and a cheap Vw dampened clutch disc. I am running a 2.2 Ecotec with a wc side shift Trans and 33" swampers and no slipping. I think a lot depends in your driving style. I use my clutch to start and stop when I am climbing hills I let out on the clutch at the bottom and push it in at the top.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:55 pm 
WB Contributor

Rick wrote:
Red Barron wrote:

How are you coming up with a 10" plate?

My bad it is called a 9" it's actually 228 mm, from a type 4 914

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 pm 
WB Contributor

Jeremy1 wrote:
I have been watching this post for a while and get to smile every time I see you all spending big money on a clutch and pressure plate. I am not sure how the manufactures rate there pressure plates but my buggy weighs in at 1500 pounds and I put a 1700 pound pressure and a cheap Vw dampened clutch disc. I am running a 2.2 Ecotec with a wc side shift Trans and 33" swampers and no slipping. I think a lot depends in your driving style. I use my clutch to start and stop when I am climbing hills I let out on the clutch at the bottom and push it in at the top.

My original setup was designed for a little slip on the high torque side of my Honda 3.2. KEP has a specs page on their web site. Clutch and clutch plate selection will vary depending on riding style, drive train, and if you plan to ride on the street. There is no one correct answer. Sorry to the AC purist but they just don't have the bottom end that a WC engine makes.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions