It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:21 am 

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App
You don't see as many water cooled motor's winning hill climbs... Not saying they don't run good but there's nothing like a. ac engine on a hill ... there light weight and have plenty of bottom and torque if they put together right

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 am 

I've never seen any wc motors climb the rock ledges at Bruton Branch. Some might but I've never seen it before . AC rocks in our area. IMO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 pm 
WB Contributor

I agree Darrel and Dirtdob. I'll never have anything again, heavier than an a/c hanging "behind" the tires. I could not apply the power because the front end would start raising up and many times, over I went. I left a nice pool of blood once in the dirt. Both my w/c's now have the motor fwd and I wish to God people could atleast wake up to narrow babychains. They don't have that great lift up capacity like a real chaindrive but atleast they don't sway like one. All stub axles, when accelerating, want to push under the frame and lift it. The core of a a/c is down low, while anything but a soob, is up high. If I had a soob, I'd have to put it a little fwd just like Marty's 3.3 with chains . But, if I put my 4 seater back in service I would put a vw 2.0 New Beetle motor on a 456 trans. I think the little 115 hp motor would be great for touring. lol . But, just so someone can't say I stole a thread. High gears, heavy buggies, tall tires, excessive power, and side stepping have to be factored into clutch selection. And a clutch that will handle everything will waller out you dowel pegs. My old 3800 with the stage 3 and 6 puc with 8 flywheel bolts would bust the trans case behind the rt output shaft. A stock vanogon clutch with springs, with baby chains ,solved that and works well! Dave out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:07 pm 

Unclejerm,
I called Kennedy and told them what I got , 2.4 Ecotec with plans to turbo in the future and they said the stage one with the 6 puck would do fine..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:55 pm 
WB Contributor

darrell wrote:
You don't see as many water cooled motor's winning hill climbs... Not saying they don't run good but there's nothing like a. ac engine on a hill ... there light weight and have plenty of bottom and torque if they put together right

Amen Darrel , the only water cooled to come in first place in front of me when mine is running right was troy , ( an excellent driver by the way & that helps a lot ) in a $50,000.00 dollar rig , I got $18,000.00 in my ac rig , no disrespect for WC boys , but enter some hillclimbs & see what they will do , we got several this year ! :mrgreen:

I got your back Darrel ! Lmao

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Gents if you read and comprehend what I wrote you will have to concede that a WC engine makes more torque than an AC engine. I made no comment about what climbed, raced or crawled. Give Terry and Helmet guy some time and you will see WC engines winning more and more events. AC engines are light yes, durable, long lasting they are not. I went water cooled due to the Obama economy, I ran the big AC engines all the way up to 2800cc they were fun but expensive, noisy, leaked oil, and needed constant maintenance. The fuel injected engine I run requires fuel and an occasional oil and filter change.

You guys can keep the Chinese in business, I would rather make an American salvage yard some money for a modern WC engine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm 
WB Contributor

ron wrote:
darrell wrote:

Amen Darrel , the only water cooled to come in first place in front of me when mine is running right was troy , ( an excellent driver by the way & that helps a lot ) in a $50,000.00 dollar rig , I got $18,000.00 in my ac rig , no disrespect for WC boys , but enter some hillclimbs & see what they will do , we got several this year ! :mrgreen:

I got your back Darrel ! Lmao
thats what im talkin about...my a/c ran in the top of a class at haspin hillclimb.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:15 pm 

BAJABUGNUT wrote:
Unclejerm,
I called Kennedy and told them what I got , 2.4 Ecotec with plans to turbo in the future and they said the stage one with the 6 puck would do fine..

Thanks Baja that helps, my PP is a stage 3 might have to see if someone wants to trade me for a stage 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:29 pm 

Odyknuck wrote:
I run a stage 3 with CB Performance combo clutch. It is organic on one side and an 8 puck on the other, so far so good. I have burnt up stage 2 and a 6 puck twice. A Daiken Super clutch burnt up Super quick! I do have a lot of weight to push so that is a bearing factor.

is this still working good for you? I have the stage 3 and organic disc in my car. 2100 lb ecotec car. was ok until I went to 33 inch boggers. burnt it up this summer. and how is engagement?
I see 3 to 4 k miles of street use every summer. I have no problem with stage 3 pressure plate so just want a Great disc and car is getting turbo with 15 psi of boost this winter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:32 pm 

bump. still good Ody?

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions