It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:29 pm 

I am taking out the 3 rib and putting in the 6 rib. I also have an ALFA FAB 2.4 coming any day now.
I have a few Q?
-I noticed the 6 rib has tabs on the top, Correct me please but isn't that a 3 rib Bell Housing on the 6 rib?
---I ordered the adapter plate form AF to fit to a 6 rib, I measured the input shaft that sticks out past the bell housing and they are both 1", opening of the bell housing is 11" on both also.
Thanks for any input.

Attachments:
CAM00581.jpg
CAM00581.jpg [ 267.75 KiB | Viewed 4529 times ]
File comment: This was stamped on the bottom, can someone tell me what it means, there is a 6 after the #11?
CAM00583.jpg
CAM00583.jpg [ 256.82 KiB | Viewed 4529 times ]
File comment: Here is the SER#
CAM00582.jpg
CAM00582.jpg [ 275.05 KiB | Viewed 4529 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:54 pm 

Not 100% but I think the 091 trans have the bell housing tabs on top. Every 6 rib I've had the tabs and 3 ribs didn't. I think 002 don't have tabs

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 pm 

My 3 rib has ears on top.

Posted using my iPhone :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:21 pm 

This should help you.

The 002...Aka the 3-rib
*Note: The earlier 3-ribs have no mounting ears on top of the bellhousing, axle flange retainers attached by acorn nuts, and a shorter input shaft (for the T1 engine). There's more info the early models provided by a member of TheSamba.com posted below the pic. They have a 5.38 (Also 5.42, but it is pretty rare) R&P ratio.
They are found in '68-'73 Buses

Transmissions for dummies http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102124

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:37 pm 
BOTM Winner

the last few years of 3 ribs had the tabs on top. those are the strongest of the 3 ribs. all 6 ribs have tabs on top. if your 3-rib has the prefix 113 in the front and an "A" at the end, those are the best 3-ribs and should have the tabs on the bellhousing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:46 pm 

Thanks guys,
I was sweating a bit, not sure why I was thinking 6 ribs don't have top ears..

-Can anybody tell me why there are stamped #'s on the bottom? Rebuilt at some time maybe?

-I thought the input shaft on the 6 rib was longer than the 3 rib or is it the car tranny, both mine stick out an inch. Input shaft meaning the part that slides into the flywheel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:42 pm 

the 6 rib Input shaft is longer than 3 rib because the 6 rib bell is made alittle deeper. It takes a different starter to reach the flywheel. thats why your inputs are measuring the same. you can put 3 rib bell on the 6 rib and use the same starter. If I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:24 am 

That's a 6 rib bell housing where the studs go through is thicker that's the easiest give away

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 am 

Thanks to everyone,

Still wondering about the stamped #s on the bottom?
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:13 am 

BAJABUGNUT wrote:
I am taking out the 3 rib and putting in the 6 rib. I also have an ALFA FAB 2.4 coming any day now.

Going to run my 3 rib with the 2.4 till she snaps. 8O ...I don't abuse my stuff often fingers crossed. Haven't heard of a different adapter plate for 6 rib & 3 rib ... s/b the same? Someone will be along shortly to correct me.

BTW attach a pic of the stamped numbers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:33 am 

UncleJerm76 wrote:
BAJABUGNUT wrote:

Going to run my 3 rib with the 2.4 till she snaps. 8O ...I don't abuse my stuff often fingers crossed. Haven't heard of a different adapter plate for 6 rib & 3 rib ... s/b the same? Someone will be along shortly to correct me.

BTW attach a pic of the stamped numbers

Bolt length will be different

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 am 

I like that first attachment you posted at the top — I've never seen a 002 & 091 next to each other, it looks like the CV output sits farther back on the 091? Having a 002 myself, Im very interested in anything you had to do to get the 091 to fit. New front mount? Need to modify the rear mount or did you use the ears?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 am 

Unclejerm,
I redid my front mount because I did not want the 10deg tilt anymore, I built the first one so I just fabbed up the second, I used the standard strap for the rear but only used the lower section that bolts to the fram horns and lower trans mounts. If you look close at my build I also redid the bracing to the rear frame horns and put in a cross bar with tabs to mount to the trans upper mounts, I am also going to use the rear most stock engine mount for rear support, just above the pulley.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:01 pm 

BAJABUGNUT wrote:
Unclejerm,
I redid my front mount because I did not want the 10deg tilt anymore, I built the first one so I just fabbed up the second, I used the standard strap for the rear but only used the lower section that bolts to the frame horns and lower trans mounts. If you look close at my build I also redid the bracing to the rear frame horns and put in a cross bar with tabs to mount to the trans upper mounts, I am also going to use the rear most stock engine mount for rear support, just above the pulley.

Thanks for getting back, it looks nice and solid, I don't think you'll have any issues with the trans moving. I was thinking about using the stock rear engine mount also, but ultimately it interfered with my radiator location. There are a lot of possible mounting locations on the side of the block, but none of them are on a flush surface making it more difficult than the usual motor mount.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:06 pm 

I aslo considered the side mounts but I could only go from my skid plate up till I saw the rear mount. I have the plate ready just got to mount it... will get picts when i do.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions