It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:40 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what trans for ecotec?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 pm 

Hey new to the forum and buggys. Had a few transmission questions after searching forever and still being confused.

To start off I just completed my ecotec swap and am currently running 31inch tires and a beetle trans with super diff. Stage 1 pressure plate, kush lock clutch And 1.9 liter diesel starter

From everything I read this will not hold up. I'm trying to figure out what I need to upgrade to and see what other ecotec buggies are running.

Option 1--get a car tranny built by Geno's vw. Reuse my superdiff, Hardened gears,keys, thing drive axles, reenforced case, heavyduty side covers. Cost would be offset here because I would trade a few of my extra car trannys

Option 2--5 rib tranny with superdiff,reuse my diesel starter (not sure what else)

Option 3--6 rib and try and figure out the side shift, and starter even tho I just put a 1.9l diesel starter on (I've read that if you don't have the HP to push these they hurt your performance greatly)

Three rib is totally out cause my buddy runs these cause there cheap and I've seen him blow three up already. He runs a non vortec Chevy 4.3

Any help would be great I really hate asking but I've searched and am still lost

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:55 pm 
Master fabricator

You have several options. 091 6 rib nose shit, super diff and about $2500 worth of Weddle stuff
091 side shift, super diff and a real light touch on the throttle, yeah right.
Mendeola anything $7,000
Anything less, expect frequent transmission changes.

G
A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:00 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Just get you a 6rib nose shift and put a 4diff in it and still run your starter and with small tires like that you should be fine id it ends up breaking just do as above stated call weedle but I think ot will hold up

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

I DO NOT FREE BASE COCAINE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 pm 

6 rib with atleast superdiff, weddle 1st/2nd, and torsional input shaft. There is about 5 or 6 I ride with regularly and that is the only way they hold up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Terry fryer wrote:
6 rib with atleast superdiff, weddle 1st/2nd, and torsional input shaft. There is about 5 or 6 I ride with regularly and that is the only way they hold up.

Not trying to highjack this thread.
Terry is this what your talking about? Never even knew they made them? I've blown 3-4 pinion nuts killing my ring and pinion. Will this help that?
http://www.weddleindustries.com/product ... put-shafts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm 

Thats it Brad if your not running a hd diff cover that would help too. I was lucky last year I run all year with no trans trouble. And I do abuse the $ hit out of mine. I added the diff cover and torsional input shaft at the beginning of last year no trouble since.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:13 am 

OK six ribs....

Side shift and nose shift are the same except for the shifter location correct?

Other than new cradle bracket and bus upper CVS what am I going to need for a six rib swap?

Bell house is different on a six so I need to either get a three rib bell or a new starter to replace my car type diesel starter?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm 
WB Contributor

Baby chains will put your heavier motor were it should be (10" longer trailing arms), your desired ratio, a little ground height, a smoother ride, and longer trans life. If not, buy another trans to be on deck and be friends with the jeep crowd to pull you out. 8) Just trying to help. Ridin at Leeds today. Dave out! 52 and sunny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:15 am 
BOTM Winner

ncolaric wrote:
OK six ribs....

Side shift and nose shift are the same except for the shifter location correct?

Other than new cradle bracket and bus upper CVS what am I going to need for a six rib swap?

Bell house is different on a six so I need to either get a three rib bell or a new starter to replace my car type diesel starter?

Nose cone shift and side shift are similar but there are two or three different kinds of side shift trans and some are totally different internally.

Buy the best and cry once.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions