It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:13 pm 
WB Contributor

Well....Gotta super diff after blowing the stock one memorial day...last weekend was goin great, hitting some crazy shit...blew one cv Friday after launching a hill.. Then Saturday night I launched up a 6ft wall, landed got back into the throttle real hard and popped another junk empi cv.... I replaced it on the trail, got back in went to pull away and my shifter is real tight doesn't wanna move... it pops into 1st then I let out on clutch.. everything moved forward slightly then its bound up and killed the motor...So what in the world could be bound up causing this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 pm 
WB Contributor

I had a clutch blow apart and it had half of the pressure plate pushed in all crazy,buggy wouldnt budge! Dropped the motor , put a clutch in and it corrected it. Just a thought!!

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:34 pm 
WB Contributor

I have had all kind of evil problems. Cease! And assist! Just a guess but if you have a pinion bearing coming apart it will play all kind of games until a miss aligned shaft will break a tooth. With motor off turn it with a wrench and check for unusual bind (in 3rd or 4th because it is closer to that bearing ). You may have caught it early. Just a desperate guess to help. Basically pull the nose cone and bell housing off and investigate and save money. With a flash lite look at the roller bearings of the pinion bearing. I bet the cage is broke and the roller bearings have moved to one side. Replace with Honda 3.3 260 hp fwd set up like 2800Passat and solve.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 pm 
WB Videographer

2800passat wrote:
I have had all kind of evil problems. Cease! And assist! Just a guess but if you have a pinion bearing coming apart it will play all kind of games until a miss aligned shaft will break a tooth. With motor off turn it with a wrench and check for unusual bind (in 3rd or 4th because it is closer to that bearing ). You may have caught it early. Just a desperate guess to help. Basically pull the nose cone and bell housing off and investigate and save money. With a flash lite look at the roller bearings of the pinion bearing. I bet the cage is broke and the roller bearings have moved to one side. Replace with Honda 3.3 260 hp fwd set up like 2800Passat and solve.

Ditto,pinion bearing or pinion nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

That's what happened when I blew my r&p.

Posted using the WoodsBuggy Mobile App

Attachments:
1373603199099.jpg
1373603199099.jpg [ 45.15 KiB | Viewed 5241 times ]
1373603168642.jpg
1373603168642.jpg [ 55.88 KiB | Viewed 5238 times ]
1373603131608.jpg
1373603131608.jpg [ 48.31 KiB | Viewed 5239 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 am 

For your sake buddy... lets hope its just the clutch! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am 
WB Contributor

could be. But I'm just chiming in cause no one else is.Busted spyder gears will lock up until they crunch up enough to fall out. Sometimes they will drive off again just fine but when you let off the gas they fall out and yer dun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:22 am 
BOTM Winner

I was there and I said the same as maddog and Passat . I would bet that is not the clutch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 pm 
WB Contributor

Hopefully its just the loose nut or clutch...at this point Im tapped out ,sold the rest of anything spare part buggy related I had to get the super diff . So if its bad news...ill see ya next year :roll: :( :( :cry: I did find a post somewhere threw google about a shift fork inside the nose cone bending, causing it too be stuck between the two gears , sounded like the same issues as this...hope its simple.. But first ive gotta even care to take it apart!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:04 pm 
WB Videographer

You might try putting it in 1st gear with the engine off, then rock the buggy back and forth, while feeling the shifter.
If the shifter moves while the buggy is being rocked back and forth, it's the pinion bearing or nut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm 
WB Contributor

the weird thing of it, was I got it to go in 2nd and it started to take off, then I went for 1st and everything bound up an didn't wanna move...if its that linkage or whatever like that post mentioned it could be stuck between gears > ? like its in gear but being between them wont allow it to move? idk...hoping its something dumb...I lack the knowledge about these transmissions to change bearings etc in them. let alone have the tools for them,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

If it won't shift through the gears just setting with the engine off it could be caught between gears. Just pull the nose cone and check that. Almost every time I've seen the pinion nut back off it let's you grab second a little and no first gear but it won't last just a bit and then something bad is going to give somewhere.but with with the pinion gone bad you should still be able to run through the shift pattern I'd think. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:30 am 

I Vaguely remember the stuck between gear problem from years ago, The quick fix was using a screwdriver through the lube hole on the side "large allen head" and moving the slider back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:05 pm 

I was following on way back to camp and it seemed as if his axle was spinning. you only took one axle off the wheel correct jayrod?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
BOTM Winner

Yes that was the diff turning .

frankenbuggy06 wrote:
I was following on way back to camp and it seemed as if his axle was spinning. you only took one axle off the wheel correct jayrod?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 pm 
WB Contributor

I just got in from buggy ridin. Listening to you guys made me pour my last one out. lol y'all are heavy lol. :)

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions