Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I saw this on thesamba.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0205t ... to_14.html

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm 
Master fabricator

That's interesting. My first thought is if they have enough articulation in them for what we do? My next concern would be with high horsepower-heavy weight buggys whether or not they would be subject to a thing called spline lock.
I was talking with some buggy gurus out in Cali. and I told them about me buying a set of High Angel Half shafts.
Their first reaction was that I made a mistake and they told me about some guys doing some desert racing that tried them. They were running 500HP 3000LB cars and they were ripping trailing arms off the back of the cars. What the figured out was the splines connecting both halves of the axle together was binding when the car was landing under heave torque load. Since the splines didn't move when the car landed because of the high hp/heavy car load, the axle acted as if it was solid, no slip, and forced the trailing arms out away from the center of the car ripping the inboard mounts right off the housing.
After some conversation I asked what they thought of a light weight car (1500lb) and a comparably lower HP (170hp) using them? All of them said I shouldn't have any problems.
I guess it's like everything else, let someone else be the crash test dummy and see if they have any problems with them. Give them some time if they work, you'll know soon enough. If they don't, you'll never hear about them again.

G
A

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:17 pm 
WB Contributor

yea those are very interesting!and no race.cage or balls to mess with :shock:wonder what the spline count is on them? whenever someone trys them let us know how they work :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm 
WB Contributor

read the "view related article" tab under the pic. looks like there made for honda drivetrain, with a 33 spline. but i think they have a different inner and outer setup from what i read. stil pretty interesting, and definately worth looking into. good find!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:45 pm 
BOTM Winner

Those have been around since the '70s. from what I've gathered, you don't want to break on or your gonna do a lot of damage!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:52 pm 

As Madmike says, the entire reason for using a set of balls is because splines lock up under heavy torque loads = solid axle with no plunge.
If you think about it, a normal CV is effectively just some splines with ball-bearings between them to keep them moving easily....

As an aside MadMike, in addition to the issues the other guys brought up, the size of those shafts means compared to a normal axle on 930's etc, they will be very stiff torsionally, so they'll transmit a lot more shock loadings straight to the diff instead of flexing and absorbing some as per the more usual torsion-bar type shaft.
The only ones of those I've seen work satisfactory had what was basically a double-tripod CV joint, so the rollers kept everything moving smoothly and the two sets of tripods spaced out kept the axle halves aligned.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
WB Contributor

My 2 cents. No angle of the dangle. That had to be the 1st design years ago. Those 3 ball things that have 3 balls in American front wheel drive cars. They can only take a once in a while angle, such as a pot hole. I tried them on a buggy back in 01 and every other hill , POW!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:18 am 

You don't use the tripods as CV joints, that's why you have a pair to stop them rotating, you use it as the plunging shaft :wink:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions