It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 002 and 091 input shafts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:56 pm 

I've been running a stock 002 3rib in my buggy with a untrimmed input shaft. Finally came across and was able too pick up a 091 6rib and a friend had mentioned trimming the 091 input shaft and using my 002 bell housing. My questions are
1) do I really need too trim the 091 input shaft and if so how much?
2) can I use the 002 bell housing and if so will it require any mods too the case or buggy?
3) if I do need too trim the 091, does a 002 need trimming also?

Sorry if I'm asking newb questions, this is my first buggy and I'm still learning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I have heard people say you do not need to trim the input shaft and I have heard people say that you need to trim the input shaft.

I ran an 002 bell housing on my 091 trans and I cut 1/4 inch off the input shaft. The 002 bell housing will bolt directly to the 091 trans and your engine will bolt directly to the trans. After you swap your bell housing, you will need to match your starter to the bell housing. If you use a 3 rib bell housing, you will need to use a 3 rib starter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 pm 

And the 091 is longer so u will need to put spacer in between bell and motor mount plate where it bolts to horns

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm 

A type 1 starter will also work with 002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 am 

Reason I'm asking is a had a very reputable builder build and install a 2110 and the input shaft hadn't been cut. Ive got about 10hrs on this engine with no hard aggressive driving or high rpm's and I kept having oil pressure issues. I started looking at the possibility of one of the pressure relief pistons sticking and during the engine removal too install the 6 rib is when we noticed the input shaft on the 002. A friend locally that has been bulding vw engines for 20+ years said chances are that it shoved my crank forward and ruining my mains and that was likely causing my oil pressure issues. You can grab the flywheel and push/pull the crank about 1/8"-3/8" but I haven't actually gauged it. So now I'm going too contact a very reputable vw trans builder and see what he says about the shafts and my builder too see what he's willing too do to correct the issue. Worse case scenario is I have to split the case and get the trush cut in the case and try too get it all done before we hit LBL next month.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 pm 

i had to trim the input shaft on my 4.83 about 1/2'' for it to bolt up.. got several 6 ribs and that was the first one that i had to trim :? figured out it was an issue when we went to install motor and it WOULD NOT GO :evil: you could hear and feel it bottoming out.. the part that sticks out past the splines and slips into the gland nut was noticably longer than what was on the other trans.. my thinking is if it was too long to begin with, your motor wouldnt have bolted up all the way

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions