It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:53 am 

It seems like there are tons of options when it comes to building a transmission. All the gussets, bushings, close ratio this and that, input shafts, gear stacks, reverse and on and on. If someone was going to have a side shift "built", pretty much completely, what would be the suggested method and cost. I know this can be answered a hundred different ways but I'm looking for an experienced recommendation. What worked for you. This will be behind the Honda 3.5 and a guess would be 265 hp 245 lb. ft. torque. 35" boggers and the car hasn't been weighed yet but I would say every bit of 2000 pounds. Just looking for suggestions and rough cost.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
You said it ( experienced )
Chuck jones
Brian ( from canton ,Ohio )
Eric debord
3 of the best know tranny builder's we know of !
When I I built my old tranny chuck was the one I called and he has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to share it .
I am new to the side shifts and the only good thing I have in mine is a factory German super diff . Alot of the guys I ride with run the side shift with very good luck and that is why I am using one also . I know odyknock and plumberbill run a diff called the peliquin diff and from what I have heard them say they like it . Might only be good for woods and not street/woods . I have lower hp then you but 35 boggers and a heavy car also so I am curios on what comments will be made on your topics . Also I'm real curios to see your car in action when it's done cause I really like that engine !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm 
WB Contributor

About the only thing in it that will break is the ring and pinion.SO... Where do you find a bad side shift with a good ring and pinion? SO...Why bother rebuilding them? I think it's time to run a front wheel drive motor and trans the same way it goes in a car with baby chains, and leave the side shifts behind. Face it. They are getting way too hard to find.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:29 pm 
WB Contributor

I would call Chuck Jones. I was at his shop twice, the guy knows his stuff. I just got my spare 091 in after he went through it and it works fantastic. I found out that I stripped the synchro teeth off 2nd gear hub. Lets see how long the spare lasts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:36 pm 

How many thousands $$$ are we thinking? It gets to a level where you have to decide what is worth it and what isn't. Weddle has the newer HV1 and I've read that it can handle a V8 within reason. If I was going to spend $3500 on rebuilding something I'd hold out until I broke it and see if I could just buy a used Weddle or Mendeola. I know a 2D can be found for around $4000-5000. The 4E probably quite a bit less.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:07 pm 
BOTM Winner

A set of Weddle 1 thru four is going to be around $1800.00 as they have went up in a lot in the last few years. They were $1400.00 when I bought mine 2 1/2 years ago. Based on info I have heard from few pro trans builders unless your want specific ratios there is no real advantage to weddle gears over stock VW gears including the ring and pinion. I will say that the 3rd and 4th gears and the slider hub in the mid shift Vanagon trans should be replaced as they are weak fine tooth gears. Weddle Ring and pinions break just as easy as VW with large tires and HP. We have already seen that happen in Plumber bills buggy. I would think you can be into a build for $2500.00 for everthing if you use Brian in Canton as his labor rates are very resonable. You can get a VW super diff from $250.00 to $350.00 that could be included in the $2500.00 price if all the rest of the trans is good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:55 pm 

I already have a super diff in mine. I would just need the "strong" parts and mods. I'm going to run what I have for now and maybe until it breaks. Between now and then I will keep my eyes open for a decent price on a built transmission of some sort.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:16 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

you pretty much said yourself what I would suggest, but with the hp, weight, and tire size you stated I think I would just run it and look for a mendeola, there is only so much abuse even a built vw gearbox can take, if you ride rough and depending on how often you ride it may need to be freshened up (new bearings) every other season or so to last and that adds up also

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:47 pm 
WB Contributor

I ran my 091 with the 3.2 Acura making the same hp and torque for two years prior to failure. The teeth on 2nd gear synchro hub sheared off under hard acceleration. I ran that trans behind a 2.8 liter Porche 914 engine for six years prior to that. So I would run it. Boggers break parts that much I know from my yoga hunting truck. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions