It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:05 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Maddog wrote:
Just bend or bow your shift rod down, til it's level.

X2 . Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm 

I can see what you mean, you want me to put a slight bend in it near the shift coupler end? Man I am half afraid.. if I jack it up then I will have to start over agn... how do you guys recommend I try to bend it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

You can bend it on either end just so it comes out of the shifter box straight.but its gonna make your rod a little shorter so you may have to readjust a little but not much.should b able to bend with your hand enough to do it. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:49 pm 
WB Contributor

Dude the are a number of members in Indiana just post your questions and help will abound. We are a group that enjoy helping out people that are new to the game. I have a 110 Lincon SP125 Plus that works great if you can find one its a great buy. I think Lowes Carries them in Tennessee.

I started out at 12 and I am just over 40 now so take your time and learn.
Started with the green and white car in the middle
Built this one second with some help
This is the latest buggy I built again with help it is a limo 130 wheel base four seat car, Built it for my little boy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 pm 

Thanks man... If you are telling me that sp125 does well... I will look for a used one... You think I should bend the shift rod or wait and re weld... Or let it ware in? Seems like the straighter the shift rod is the Bette to me?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 pm 
WB Contributor

In my buggy I matched the angle of the shift rod to the angle of my shift box to keep it all in line. But you can leave and let it ride for a while until you find a welder. And Yes the SP125 plus is a great hobby welder. I have had mine for 10 years. Best of luck with you build post some photo's so the rest of us can encourage you. It takes time when your on a budget.
Get you kids involved when they are old enough I can't thank my dad enough for involving me when I was young. It helps me appreciate the hard work when I am out playing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:43 pm 

Thanks agn man... You guys are all real cool...

I have decided to match the angle as well it makes sense I think... Looks like all I need to do is cut the rear welds on the shift box and pry up to match the angle... Then weld it back up... But till then... I will keep as is... And look for one of those welders thanks man... Have a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:54 pm 
WB Contributor

Sounds like what you need is a small torch setup so you can braze. Its cheap, you get two tools in one, its portable and storable, easy to do, and strong enough for the small projects your talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:39 am 
WB Contributor

dont just bring the rear of the shift box up and not the front.. cause it will throw it off again.. you have a sedan shift box not a bus... look at my build thread and see what im talkin about. .. them round about holes on the bottom dont line up with any bar to weld them to... so improvise, i put some 1" square under mine to bring it up, just look at my build thread and you will see.. worked great for me! a bus box is a lot taller than a sedan box witch makes that distance up :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:00 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Red Barron wrote:
If you have access to some one with a welder then you can cut the box lose and tilt it to match the angle of the shifter rod, that is what I did.

x2, this is what i did also, but a buddy of mine raised his box till the rod was level and that seemed to worked well also but i didnt like the shifter sitting that high personaly (he eventually put in a stock shifter with a shortened handle)

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:57 am 

thanks guys... lots of great help... I am looking for some items to put on ebay... going to save up for a small welder I think... sounds like the sp125 will do fine (flux core will work right?)... But I want to buy my wire harness first... so after that I will come back to the welder... I dont know anyone that can come over and help me out... but there is a welding shop down the road, I asked him to see if anyone would be interested in making a trip over for an afternoon of small projects.... As it is I still need some 120 wall tube welded in where I did my coil over conversion and I need to figure out where to mount my coil over shocks (top and bottom mounts)... plus it sounds like I need to mess with the shifter box now.

I will get there... and am glad that you all are cool enough to help... thanks guys...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:42 am 
WB Contributor

The sp125 plus does work well with flux core or it can be used with gas if you choose to in the future. Again it is great having such a great group of guys that are supportive of each other.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 pm 

Well... I am going to post bac to my build thread I guess... I found another Delma tonight... Will interesting to figure out... My coil over shock sticks out to far at the top for an easy mount... Not sure what to do...

Pics will follow
:(

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions