It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:20 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 pm 
WB Contributor

I have a 82 dz code side shift . The main housing is a three rib (002) but the info I can find on them put them in the 091 gear family . So my question is are the guts inside 091 0r 002 ? I know the diff dosent look like the diff in my three rib

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:52 pm 
WB Contributor

It's all 091. I hauled a many back from europe when I was flying around in the Air Force.I had a special home made shifter that I would shift back and forth but slide it over with my elbow.Had a block of metal to keep it from going over to 3rd and 4th. It was spring loaded to that side but who needed 3rd and 4th ?That was way back in the a/c days. Had some great times then.It was a side shift on the nose of course.Europe ran a/c on up thru the 80's. They ran 3 rib nose shifts on up to 1979 and then was replaced by side shift on the nose ("all") 542 3 rib in 1980 Vanagons.Late 78-80 3 ribs nose shifts had 542's. I made the masses happy back then.Those British junk yard guys loved me because they would say"Oh mate, after you leave, our refrigerator will be full of Strongbow(Apple Cider, lots of content, will get you 'tore up from the floor up, delicious and nutritious:) ). that was my favorite! Thomas would run around europe scavenging 5 speeds for British pounds,Istill have his number if anyone knows anyone who is in the air force.He would meet me in Germany France or jolley ol England.He'd pull up in an old Vanagon that would haul a$$. Especially after I'd give him enough money that would choke a mule. The next day all the trans and a box of c/v joints and 091 starters would be strapped to the Air Force cargo jet floor.The most I got on 1 trip was 8.Many a Fultondale men are still running around with them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 pm 

thats a good trans..buy an 091 nose cone and shift housing and have it converted to a nose shift. done a 6 rib the same way and it works great.. got the parts off the samba for 100 bucks

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions