It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:37 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: to good to be true
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 am 

http://reading.craigslist.org/pts/3188474020.html

I answered this add on CL yesterday for what seemed like a killer deal, $150 for for 2-3 ribs in working order. Some texting back and forth and some conversation I was to meet him at first at 3:30, then changed it to 5, I got him to meet at 4.. He said they worked and went into gear. I drove an hour and a half, 3 hrs round trip. I asked him to meet me a little closer and his words were for the price I am practically giving these away,I thought ok he's right. Wait it gets better.
So I beg my wife to pick up he kids from summer camp (Which cost us extra, she picks up later) I drive the 1.5 hours 3 hrs round trip in my 4x4 truck and meet them at a gas station. I first notice two different bell housings with missing nuts, then I grabbed the in-put shaft of #1 and rotate it, turns fine for 3/4 turn then CLUNCK :shock: back the other way CLUNCK :shock,: grab the cv cups same thing, tried to put it N (no go) " OH THERES NO OIL IN THEM :? " (OK!!!). At this point I am starting to get mad but not showing it. I grab the other trans and NOTHING ITS EFFIN LOCKED UP :twisted: ... Now I am pissed. I turn to the 19 yr old kid (6' 300lbs country boy) and inform him of what I would like to do to him at this point 8) :? :evil: :twisted: :!: :?: :arrow: :!: :?: :D , His dad who was standing next to him chimed in and took the blame for just telling him to post on CL and what to post. That was a long 1.5 hr trip home.
Now I asked all the proper questions when we did speak on the phone and all was good with the trans., I hop on today and the add is still up. I have been flagging it as prohibited.
Thanks for reading just wanted to vent...
Sign,
My first bad experience with CL.

Post subject: Re: to good to be true
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 am 

That sucks, im mad for you :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Location: rittman,ohio ----------- wellsville, water cooled chapter
Grrrrrrrr !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
WB Contributor

I used to hoard up side shifts. I caught on pretty quick.When you see a pic on ebay or c.l.and you see that the trans is bare, such as front mount, slave cylinder, side shifter mt. rail,wire loop on top,and a few other things GONE, then chances are this is a BUSTED or wore out CORE! This is where the mechanic had to swap over these items to the new one and this trans has been thrown out to the core pile.I drove all the way to Tennessee once and this happened to me.I got lost finding his house and stumbled up on a vw shop nearby.The inoccent guy at the vw shop gave me detailed directions to his house, his name etc. The seller denied knowing of the vw shop , yet the shop knew him well.He was buying cores and selling them as good.Watch out for pics of a nice trans or freshly painted but the one that arrives looks like a million year old fossil.Ask them a hundred questions to see if they are straight up.Lies fall apart too easy.If it did not fall out of a van that they knew about then you are gambling more.Usually the motor blows WAY before the trans.The death of many trans is gear oil dry or abused.If a trans has been under water in a flood the oil will float out fast thru the vent hole and will be replaced by water at the same time, then it will rust fast.You may think you have a nice tight trans.., but it is actually locking up. Saw one in Florida a year after a huricane.ALWAYS remove bellhousing first. Get a phone pic with the bell housing removed and an oil sample drained from the lower plug on white paper towels.Look at the magnet and see if it has been wiped off.All magnets will look scary but chunks are junk.Look and see if the roller bearings on the pinion nut have rolled to one side.And of coarse pinion teeth and ring gear.Check for pitting, fractures, and un even color patterns on tooth surfaces.

Last edited by 2800passat on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:36 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I flagged him for you... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:39 am 

Thank everyone,
Feel free to text him and ask lots of questions. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:51 am 

yea the world is full assholes who would love to bend you over and break one off in you at lease they should use some vaseoline

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:06 am 
WB Contributor

craigslist can be really sweet....once you weed out thee 99% of idiots on there

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:47 pm 

He removed it finally. Thx guys.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions