It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm 

This is my first post on this forum . I have been doing some searching and haven't found an answer yet. I am installing a 3 rib bus transmission on my Dad's rail and from what I understand I need 15 and 5/8 inch long axle shafts.I will be using type 2 CVs at the tranny and type 1 CVs at the suspension at least till I can afford the stub shafts . My question is which axle shaft manufacture does everyone have experience with and recommend Sway away, EMPI, ect, ect,? This rail will be used for trail, mud, sand, and some street. It currently has a mostly stock 1600 D.P. but will likely upgrade later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 pm 

I wouldjust use the ones out of a beetle if your just running a stock motor now my cousins have been running those for years with a 1915 and 3 rib bus to car cvs and he puts a beating on it time to time and never broke an axle on it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I buy all my CV joints from Dansperformanceparts. Give Dan Emery a call, he has not steered my wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm 

GKN and Lobro are the best 2 brands of CVs that I have used (stock are ok too). As for axles, Sway away used to be the best, but I am not sure where they are made now, hopefully still in the USA.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 pm 

Eric DeBord wrote:
GKN and Lobro are the best 2 brands of CVs that I have used (stock are ok too). As for axles, Sway away used to be the best, but I am not sure where they are made now, hopefully still in the USA.

Well the sway away's cost only slightly more so I will probably go with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 pm 
BOTM Winner

I am pretty sure I have a pair of stock axels. I can check if you like. For what your doing they will work just fine. No need to buy expensive axels untill your ready for more travel, power and 930 CVs.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions