It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:56 pm 

looking for info and opinions...

i currently run a mid-shift vanagon (4.83) against 38" buckshots..it pulls good and is really fast. my problem is when climbing a hill, if i have to lift off the throttle and then get back in it, it bogs down...im not scared to step the clutch, but then something usually turns loose (joint or axle)

i borrowed a set of 35" boggers and the difference in how the buggy pulled was very noticable..didnt really have to beat on it to make it go..i liked it :D

im thinking of gearing my buggy down to get the pull i want with the 38s..i looked on weedle's website and saw a vanagon trans they have with a list of optional gear combos that can be bought in the trans they have..but no list or pricing on individual gear sets that i can buy and have installed in my trans

if i can find a gear set, is their anyone around that can build a midshift? I was thinking of pulling it out and putting a nose shift 6 rib with a 5.42 RnP in it..any thoughts? i know the nose shift has alot more options available far as gears ratios go, jus kind of at odds as what to do?

Save a tree... eat a Beaver

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:08 pm 

i have a price list from last year. they show many options for mid shift gear sets. ring-n-pinions available in 4:13, 4:57,4:83,4:86,5:43,5:50,5:83 and 5:86. prices from 475-1100 for new :shock: and 245-300 used.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am 
BOTM Winner

the gear sets for the midshift are just about the same as the nose shift. I have never done a mid-shift but from what I understand they are much easier than nose shift to assemble. I dont think you need a jig or anything.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions