It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bus to car question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 pm 

im very new to the vw scene so i hope this isent a silly question.I was told that to mate a 2000cc bus motor to a car trans for a street buggy,all i had to purchase was a special flywheel.Is that correct?

Post subject: Re: bus to car question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I am not sure... I would think your would not need to change anything... The bigger question is why? Putting a 2000cc engine on a car Trans is just a bad idea.. At least swap the Trans for a 3 rib..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 pm 

thats the stuff i need to here from yall.Like i said still very new to vw.traded for a chenwth frame and had the trans and motor with it?So dont fool with it and upgrade the tran?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:26 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

1st off.. Welcome to the sight.. There are no silly questions.. Just ask and someone will normally jump in..

As for the car trans.. You will not find many of them in use anymore.. A car trans is significantly weaker than a bus trans and you can usually find a used bus trans for $350. There are three basic types of Bus Trans. 3 rib, 5 rib and 6 rib. The 6 rib is the strongest.

As for engines, do you have a water cooled bus engine? Most people do not bother with the water boxer engines. To much work and not enough power. There are much better water cooled options..

So what exactly did you trade for? That will help determine the best going forward strategy..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:37 pm 

Thanks I need all the help i can get.I traded for a perfect chenowth frame with brand new tires all around<has what was told a 2000cc bus motor that is carberated(single carb) fired it up and runs great.Has car trans,guy was a welder and ther is some great custom work done ,needs seats, pedals,shifter.And was told flywheel,the motor is the hydro lifter model.Hope this gets us started any help will be appriciated

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 pm 

oh yea, is air cooled and titled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:50 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Is the motor in the car? How did you fire it up? Can you post some pics of the motor and trans?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:00 am 

motor is in car,and hooked to trans just no shifter.I can take pics tommarrow if yall can help me post them.Guy might have been filling me full of bull but i got not much in the rig so i feel like i paid for the frame only.have 1 pic but not shure how to post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm 

Alright still dont have pics but got more info.Is a ge code block that was converted from fuel injection to a 2 barrel weber carb.not sure how to id my trans yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 pm 

alright if im reading it correctly the trans reads at19065 feel free to correct me if im giving the wrong numbers lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:53 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Not really sure.. Need pics..

You can upload them to the photo gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:39 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

if you started it then its got a flywheel.you will need to hook up a shifter to see if trans and clutch are fine.get it running with the car trans first to see what you need.i assume it has open axle trans (running cv's).are you building it for the road or woods? chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 pm 

Thanks chad!Im building it for the road right now ,wanting a place to show off my coatings at the shows.Took the motor off last night,seems to be a 79 ge code bus motor with squaire ports.Trans has no clutch pressure plate or bearing in it.trans was from a 1600 motor so basicly i need a flywheel that is the design of the car trans but has the 5 bolt hook up.Does that make any sence at all?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:56 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

All you need is a new pressure plate and clutch and throw out bearing.you will need to know what type throw out bearing the trans is to make sure you match up the right pressure plate.if your running it on the road the car trans is just fine to use.post some pics of your buggy.take some of your trans so we can see what you need,get one of the throw out arm to see what bearing it has.should be the new style hopefully it would be better for you.Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 pm 

Been real busy at work,but this past week got the correct clutch,pressure plate and throw out bearing.Just havent slide everything back together yet.But been looking thru yalls pics and vidios,thinking i might be missing out on alot of fun buy making this a street rig.If i were to go ahead and upgrade the trans what and where should I consider and what kinda cost am i looking at.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:24 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

you can find a trans on here every now and then maybe try the samba or maybe some of the sponsers might be able to get you one.you will need to decide what kinda abuse youll be doing with it.of course the harder you ride the more expensive it is,lol.if your just going to trail ride and not be to hard on it then a 3 rib will do fine and probably be good enough and if your gonna get into some rough riding then youll want to upgrade your outer cvs to bus also and if its gonna be a dual purpose trail and street you would probably be better to run a 6 rib for better highway gearing.as far as price it could be from 250 to 600 dollars or more to go to bus depending on what you need to fit your intentions.chad :mrgreen:

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions