It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:53 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm 

Once again it is time for a trans build (something to do with foot and beer combo) I am always geting 2nd gear and I. Need to know how to get central bug shop to build my 5 rib. I see some of you dumping it at 6000 and I want what you have.my foot gets very overrated at times and I am tired of building. I will go up in motor when this is worked out. Rob. Wormey. Hyde I want your info too I have to ride with y'all and know I will never be top dog but I do not want to sit at the camp. Help me out guys b,c I have all summer to ride and do no more than carry cold drinks. Need to know asap now that the climb is in march. Thanky you for yur info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

http://www.woodsbuggy.com/index.php?opt ... 12&t=13121
Here you go try this out see if it helps you. Chad :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 pm 
WB Videographer

You are breaking 2nd, that is strange, it's usually 1st gear.
In your case you might want to hand pack the needle bearings under 2nd gear, instead of 1st [you can't do both] and also make sure you have a good tight mainshaft bearing ,housing etc...
Could be that the stock mainshaft is flexing to much for your foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 pm 

I think a lot of it is the beer combo and the shift from frist to second. This one broke as I was comming from mud to asphalt ( I think? Again the beer). I just need more info on how to build to my riding style I guess?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 am 
WB Videographer

That was alot like leaving the ground and landing while still at full throttle.
They will only take so much, but you can do alot to strengthen them.
After you break enough trannys, it will finally sink in to not do that.
I used to break one every weekend, and then work on it all week, just to go out and break it the next.
I've got one buddy that blew the whole diff out the side of the case, but it was a hell of a show.
He climbed a vertical bank, went airborne vertical,never let out as it landed on the back end, and out came the 4spider diff.
The 5 rib:
1.Has 4.86 r&p ,strongest stock r&p in the 002 series.
2.Need thrust plate,used to better hold mainshaft bearing in place. $12
3.I'd also add a 1/8 in. steel plate between the bellhousing and maincase to help prevent breaking of maincase. [drill this plate with close clearances so it is snug around the dowels and bolts]
4.Wide flange chromoly pinion nut. $40
5. Torsional input shaft. $168
6.Steel shift ball. $5
7.A real vanagon 4-spider diff. Must have! $350 shipped.
8. Hand pack 1st gear bearings instead of using the caged bearings. $20
9. Add more weld to clutch cross shaft or get a heavy duty one.
If you plan on climbing in 2nd gear, I'd probably put a 5.38 r&p in it, they're usually pretty cheap and easy to find.Refer to # 1.$265
If you could find a 5.42 for the 002,you'd be very lucky, they are very rare. $345
You might want to consider changing 3rd gear also, there will be quiet a difference between 2nd and 3rd when you change to that lower 2nd, especially if you like to drag race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:11 am 

all these up grades and still a very weak rev gear switch to mid shift upgrade and have a better rev gear alltogether a better trans just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:47 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

need to know more info about your buggy, tire size, engine specs, weight, and main type of rideing you plan on doing to make a "more perfect" recomendation but the one maddog suggested is a pretty good all around combination that will work good in a variety of applications

send rob a pm on here to get in touch with his dads shop and if that dont work out i would contact chuck jones or eric debord or maybe maddog might be willing to it for you, also i dont if he will do it since he dont ride anymore but bobby belk can build a hell of a tranny also

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:19 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Oh and as far as hyde and wormy go,,,,,,well hyde definantly fits the big boy description and wormy well lets just say pics are worth a million words

all they gonna see come march 17th is

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:44 am 

Yes frank is the one that does all my work. As for my car I have a 1835 with 35 in boggers and I do my climbimg in frist I am breaking when I am at home playing I want to be able to rev and dump like some of the others I see. I don't know what to tell frank to do to it to make it tough enough. He has my extra 3 rib now and I hope to have it in by the 17 so I can watch the hill climb.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:50 pm 

jason108 wrote:
Once again it is time for a trans build (something to do with foot and beer combo) I am always geting 2nd gear and I. Need to know how to get central bug shop to build my 5 rib. I see some of you dumping it at 6000 and I want what you have.my foot gets very overrated at times and I am tired of building. I will go up in motor when this is worked out. Rob. Wormey. Hyde I want your info too I have to ride with y'all and know I will never be top dog but I do not want to sit at the camp. Help me out guys b,c I have all summer to ride and do no more than carry cold drinks. Need to know asap now that the climb is in march. Thanky you for yur info.

jason i have a chuck jones built o91 running weedle gears he builds a awesome tranny lord knows i ve put mine through it. but that dumping the clutch with that kinda tire wont last long for anybody :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:52 pm 

ridenrace6 wrote:
Oh and as far as hyde and wormy go,,,,,,well hyde definantly fits the big boy description and wormy well lets just say pics are worth a million words

all they gonna see come march 17th is

i hear you :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 pm 
WB Contributor

Just turn frank loose with it. Tell him what your doing with it and what keeps happening. I would invest in a thrust plate for sure if your planning on dumping it at that kind of rpm. frank built mine and so far its held up. Its gunna be expensive but well worth it in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:39 pm 

Import a Renault UN5, problem solved.

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions