It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 pm

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 am 

I am looking for a transmission builder near louisville ky. I was going to build it my self but running low on time. This isnt going to a regular make it work rebuild. I am planing on building an 091 with berg nose cone conversion for a bug thats a street car. I already have a core and the nose cone. I konw drews builds transmisions just wondering who else does in kentucky, indiana, ohio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:18 am 
WB Contributor

Chuck Jones see the sponsors sheet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 am 

I will give him a call

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:38 pm 

no one i ride with has had luck with drews working on anything... not trannies, or motors, or carbs. not to bash a sponsor but other than parts you couldn't pay me to go there and then its only if offroad center aint got one...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 pm 

All i can say is i have had Good luck with my Drews trans and engs .But i have good parts in them to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

You will not go wrong with Chuck Jones... He is the best in the business..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 pm 
BOTM Winner

Eric Daboard from olive hill ky builds by far the best trannys in this area......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

pipedope wrote:
Eric Daboard from olive hill ky builds by far the best trannys in this area......

x2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:26 pm 
WB Videographer

X3
Eric Debord is a member you can PM him,if you have questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 pm 

badbrad wrote:
pipedope wrote:

x2

X4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:03 pm 

hyde wrote:
All i can say is i have had Good luck with my Drews trans and engs .But i have good parts in them to.

lets just say these guys aint got cheap parts in their motors... but there is a reason they go to one of the members (who i think used to do some of their motors as a sub) on here instead of that sponsor. course if i had 5k to drop i would be doin it too... when you cant get a carb back that runs and i can rebuild it and it works it says a lot about the place. or when they tell you its impossible to have a 3rib bellhousing on a 091, or they charge 80 bucks more than offroad center in miamitown for a bosche starter, or sell a motor that blows gas out holes you didnt know existed on a vw, or a trans that was "gone thru" by them and is junk. in otherwards if brian drew himself aint done it i wouldnt even think about it.

on the reason for the post though yeah chuck jones or eric debord is best i hear....... can't go wrong with either

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 pm 

3drinkminimum wrote:
hyde wrote:

lets just say these guys aint got cheap parts in their motors... but there is a reason they go to one of the members (who i think used to do some of their motors as a sub) on here instead of that sponsor. course if i had 5k to drop i would be doin it too... when you cant get a carb back that runs and i can rebuild it and it works it says a lot about the place. or when they tell you its impossible to have a 3rib bellhousing on a 091, or they charge 80 bucks more than offroad center in miamitown for a bosche starter, or sell a motor that blows gas out holes you didnt know existed on a vw, or a trans that was "gone thru" by them and is junk. in otherwards if brian drew himself aint done it i wouldnt even think about it.

on the reason for the post though yeah chuck jones or eric debord is best i hear....... can't go wrong with either

I didn't say enthing bad I just had good service with DREWS . Do you need cheese to go with that wine :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:19 pm 

Sorry for the Hi jack . I think all the above can build a good trans . ps dont get mad 3drinkmax buggy is for fun .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:40 pm 
WB Contributor

hyde wrote:
Sorry for the Hi jack . I think all the above can build a good trans . ps dont get mad 3drinkmax buggy is for fun .

i agree with 3 drink...drews ok for parts if u dont mind payin a little more, but the service dept is doo doo. seen junk trannies,motors,etc come out of there,and a lot of people in the woods have a drews horror story.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 am 

I didn't say enthing bad I just had good service with DREWS . Do you need cheese to go with that wine

seemed like you inferred everyone i know was buyin junk parts and you dont......just not the case... we all spend too much time on them to buy something inferior... and unless drew himself has done the work... no one i know or have met has gotten anything but inferior work out them.... or had a drews built2180 and "built"5ribget smoked by mystic performance 1915 w/ a stock 3 rib in a side by side drag........ thats the reason creech will see my motor whenever i do it and either him or debord would see my trans.... wish i ever heard good out of drews other than here cause its close to me... but....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 pm 
BOTM Winner

I have never had a problem with anything drews has done for me! I have heard horror stories about lots of builders. Doesnt mean i believe them. I know drews builds good motors and transaxles. I would trust them to do any work for me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:28 pm 
WB Contributor

on the main home page click on eric deboards site and click on trans tips and tricks :shock: this guy knows what hes talkin about. chuck jones i hear can build em too. but personally if i need a tranny done i'm goin to have arron creech do it, hes also a member and one hell of an engine builder :wink: on the other hand if you want a 12 rib built theres only one guy who can do that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:46 pm 

hows that drew motor holdin up dave?.... wait its diff now aint it?

this guys rail is only person i ever met to have no problems from drews.... then again brian built his motor personally....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
WB Contributor

diamonddav wrote:
on the main home page click on eric deboards site and click on trans tips and tricks :shock: this guy knows what hes talkin about. chuck jones i hear can build em too. but personally if i need a tranny done i'm goin to have arron creech do it, hes also a member and one hell of an engine builder :wink: on the other hand if you want a 12 rib built theres only one guy who can do that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

diamond daves drew motor didnt last long...tonys trannys went even quicker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm 
Global moderator

pipedope wrote:

I aint gonna say best cause Eric DeBord is the only one I have had do work for me and I am very pleased. I am sure Chuck is good also but Chuck is very busy and I would say they are both at the very top.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:32 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

I am not discrediting the ability of any of the trans builders suggested, but when Weddle Industries (the TOPDOG in VW manual transaxle performance and replacement parts, http://www.weddleindustries.com/) has a question, they call CHUCK JONES. I have been there at his shop when they've called him. People ship him trannies to get built all the way from FL and and northern MI

His labor prices are unbelievably low (has very low overhead) and I do not know of even ONE 6rib that he has built that has failed due to something he did wrong. There are buggies out there with trannies in them that he built 15 years ago or more and ran HARD every weekend with 2500s pushing them with NO tranny problems at all. Yes, he is VERY busy, but there's good reason for that :wink:
He is in London, KY. I live in Louisville and I'd be glad to carry your trans to him if you need me to. I am down there once a month or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

kybuggy1 wrote:
I am not discrediting the ability of any of the trans builders suggested, but when Weddle Industries (the TOPDOG in VW manual transaxle performance and replacement parts, http://www.weddleindustries.com/) has a question, they call CHUCK JONES. I have been there at his shop when they've called him. People ship him trannies to get built all the way from FL and and northern MI

His labor prices are unbelievably low (has very low overhead) and I do not know of even ONE 6rib that he has built that has failed due to something he did wrong. There are buggies out there with trannies in them that he built 15 years ago or more and ran HARD every weekend with 2500s pushing them with NO tranny problems at all. Yes, he is VERY busy, but there's good reason for that :wink:
He is in London, KY. I live in Louisville and I'd be glad to carry your trans to him if you need me to. I am down there once a month or so.

Doesnt hurt that he is a really nice guy too. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 pm 

Never heard of any of erics trannys tearing up do to something he did wrong either. When i decide to build another motor or tranny thats who im taking it to but thats because hes only a 30 min drive from my house but he always builds good stuff and their is many more that will say the same. And if eric was advertised like chuck he would have just as much business if not more.imo anyways

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 pm 
BOTM Winner

Badbrad my buggy is a good example of what his work is like i finished ahead of a lot of buggys in the 2010 series with a 1st gear eric tranny and a 2387 eric motor and still yet all they want to say is it has to be a 2500 2nd gear tranny to compete. I say the proof is in the pudding..........

badbrad wrote:
Never heard of any of erics trannys tearing up do to something he did wrong either. When i decide to build another motor or tranny thats who im taking it to but thats because hes only a 30 min drive from my house but he always builds good stuff and their is many more that will say the same. And if eric was advertised like chuck he would have just as much business if not more.imo anyways

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 pm 
BOTM Winner

kybuggy1 wrote:

Eric deals with the same thing too, he has Weddle calling him for any questions as well, he has built trannies for over 20+ years with Weddle parts and he has built them for a lot of folks all over the eastern seaboard, the guys from Berrien buggies was so impressed with his work, they built him a Chromoly buggy just for him and he is still running it 15 years later!! Eric is a hell of a trans builder and Chuck is too, but Eric lives a lot closer to me and he does me good everytime, no offense to Chuck 8) and I have no issues with the ones he does for me or anyone in my area the past 9 years,no offense to Chuck 8) Eric is also a hell of an engine builder as well, he probably has done them as long as he has done the trans, my 2500cc is the first engine of that size he's ever built to date and it still runs strong......

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions