It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:58 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 rib problem
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:04 am 

ok i bought a 6 rib off suby steve awhile back put it in 2 rides blew reverse out it grinds like its still there not sure how hard it is to fix or replace any ideals or suggestion would be appreciated and i have tried shift linkeage or try and sell and get diffrent one

Post subject: Re: 6 rib problem
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:18 am 

Shift linkage was probably adjusted wrong from the get go and now reverse gear is trashed. Have it rebuilt.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:32 am 

idk were to have it rebuilt jims vw wants to charge me like 500 more than i payed fot the thing are they easy to rebuild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:04 pm 

volksdude2010 wrote:
idk were to have it rebuilt jims vw wants to charge me like 500 more than i payed fot the thing are they easy to rebuild

If you dont have the tools and know how to set them up just have a known builder take care of it.. Jims vw is a waste.. I use Brian out of east canton.. Cant find his number due to constant phone problems but someone on here has it. Pm jeff clay I know he has it..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 pm 
WB Videographer

If it's just the smaller reverse gear, they're $40 for the weddle racing one.
I'd think a builder would replace the reverse for around $100 labor or I would anyway, but I'm in TN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 pm 
WB Videographer

Maddog wrote:
If it's just the smaller reverse gear, they're $40 for the weddle racing one.
I'd think a builder would replace the reverse for around $100 labor or I would anyway, but I'm in TN.

i think the bigger reverse gear is like 60 bucks,,,i think i give a little over a 100 bucks for both gears for a 5 rib,there jus about like a 6 rib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:50 pm 

What your address of ya will do it for that that's about the price I can work with like 200 I would be willing to pay any more I would be looking 4 a new tranny that's the only thing holding me up from putting motor back in my buggy so I can finish my fab work what's weiddle gear is there an advantage to it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

weddle racing gears are a lot stronger than factory gears

http://weddleindustries.com/index.php

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:46 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

Did you call Brian?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:16 pm 
BOTM Winner

Even the weddle little reverse gear is still weak. you just cant make that little guy stronger. I generally charge $100 labor for transmission work. $150 if its still covered in mud when you bring it! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:57 pm 

Ya I tried calling him but didn't get a response and if weiddlr gears are strong what about super diff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 am 
WB Videographer

I have a real German superdiff complete for $350.00, includes shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:11 pm 

bradley59dzl wrote:
volksdude2010 wrote:

If you dont have the tools and know how to set them up just have a known builder take care of it.. Jims vw is a waste.. I use Brian out of east canton.. Cant find his number due to constant phone problems but someone on here has it. Pm jeff clay I know he has it..

In what way is my shop a waste ??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:26 pm 

bradley59dzl wrote:
volksdude2010 wrote:

RaceBugg1098 wrote:
Even the weddle little reverse gear is still weak. you just cant make that little guy stronger. I generally charge $100 labor for transmission work. $150 if its still covered in mud when you bring it! :lol:

Really??? You guys have no problem paying $40 for the small half of reverse, $80 for the big half, and $150 labor? You do know you have to tear the ENTIRE transaxle apart to replace the large half, right? So you're happy paying $270 to have some one put your tranny back together with the parts that were allready in it that were worn, which I guaruntee there are parts worn that should be replaced, but don't want to spend an extra $230 at a shop to have the tranny entirely rebuilt back to factory specs. they told you they could do for around $500? You guys are TOO funny! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 pm 
WB Videographer

gkeeton wrote:
bradley59dzl wrote:
volksdude2010 wrote:

RaceBugg1098 wrote:

Really??? You guys have no problem paying $40 for the small half of reverse, $80 for the big half, and $150 labor? You do know you have to tear the ENTIRE transaxle apart to replace the large half, right? So you're happy paying $270 to have some one put your tranny back together with the parts that were allready in it that were worn, which I guaruntee there are parts worn that should be replaced, but don't want to spend an extra $230 at a shop to have the tranny entirely rebuilt back to factory specs. they told you they could do for around $500? You guys are TOO funny! :lol:

That was $500 more than what he paid for the tranny to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 pm 

JimsCustomVWs wrote:
bradley59dzl wrote:
volksdude2010 wrote:

In what way is my shop a waste ??

Are you a sponsor?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:08 pm 

gkeeton wrote:
bradley59dzl wrote:
volksdude2010 wrote:

RaceBugg1098 wrote:

Im guesing he is a younger guy and is not made of money and is trying to do it as cheap as possible.. Plently of trans with "used" gears have held up just fine for several yrs. Reverse gets broken for usually two reasons, Not properly engaged or beating on it. New gears will destroy in the same fashion as old in these to cases!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

not a 100% but i think chuck jones does a tranny for about 150 labor, 500 labor seems a bit on the high side to me but thats just my opinion

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 am 

$500 is total ,"not labor." (new both halfs of rev.Weddle's, all new synchro for 091 all new seals 091 & gaskets hot tank & cleaned, r/p checked for crackes)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:14 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

JimsCustomVWs wrote:
$500 is total ,"not labor." (new both halfs of rev.Weddle's, all new synchro for 091 all new seals 091 & gaskets hot tank & cleaned, r/p checked for crackes)

that sounds a lot more reasonable, i guess i was confused with all the the talk about 500 more than he gave for the tranny :?

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 pm 

i ment that they wanted to charge me 500for parts an labor not that it was my cost of tranny plus there cost and yes i dont have a lot of money to through around and needing to find someone to do it in my price range if i cant i will probaly sell it for 300 350 bucks with high torque starter if any one is intrested ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:31 pm 
WB Videographer

That's still over $300 for labor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:15 am 

ya i think its still alot my self thats why i dont have a working trnny yet lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:37 pm 

hey everybody
i have not had any calls from some one in pa about 6 rib if you need to get ahold of me my # is 330-488-0715 if no anwser please leave a message and i will call back
and thanks to everybody that has called apon my services
THANK YOU
brian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:12 pm 

oh ok well i will keep ya in mind i have a guy thats wants to buy it but if ever in need of tranny work will be sure to look u up got your number now

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions