It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stupid trans ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:20 am 

is there a reason why no one uses porsce 901 or 914 transmissions... they got a 7.31 to 1 ratio and can be had startin at 3k rebuilt here

http://www.californiamotorsports.net/co ... rboxes.htm

it seems to me that you can have this kinda money in the vw pretty quick and i not have the ratio still.... curiousity just overwhelms me here

Post subject: Re: stupid trans ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:30 am 
WoodsBuggy Addict

What I have always heard is cost of parts. Check with wedle and see if they make replacement gears and the price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:33 am 
WB Contributor

Go with front wheel drive and your local Pull a Part will be your only buggy sto'. Aluminium wheels, brakes, rear end, trans, motor. Huge stock flywheels, clutches, starters, trans gears.No Kennedy adapter. Start off with a drivable wrecked car!After you climb a hill the temp gauge is still 180.An Audi TT has a 1800cc with 230hp!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 am 

nitro_mudder wrote:
What I have always heard is cost of parts. Check with wedle and see if they make replacement gears and the price.

they have a gear list on this site... oh i aint purchasing... i was just curious why

passat2800 wrote:
Go with front wheel drive and your local Pull a Part will be your only buggy sto'. Aluminium wheels, brakes, rear end, trans, motor. Huge stock flywheels, clutches, starters, trans gears.No Kennedy adapter. Start off with a drivable wrecked car!After you climb a hill the temp gauge is still 180.An Audi TT has a 1800cc with 230hp!

ha i was lookin at them last night anyways passat. that and the quattro trans. how bout mid engined v6 to 2speed powerglide to an independent gm front diff off say a suburban(or maybe a ford 9inch with custom axle tube lengths). you cut the diff tubes down to even and even out the axle shafts and weld 930 cups on the end of the shafts past the bearing and run short axles and vw stubs. that way the cv's are the weak point still.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:57 pm 
WB Contributor

The 2000 and up Passats have 2 output shafts out both sides like a bus.They even have bus flanges! Very strong but high geared. But if you have small tires that 200 plus v6 would lite them up.Aren't those 1 seater guys running a low 2nd and using it like a high 1st? 1999 an down you'd have to run it like I do with the Lincoln Cont. IRS 9" diff, NOT the straight axle type. Try an automatic!,and go thru the gears lightening fast and let it do the shifting!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:11 pm 

soon as i get the vw to a decent point where i feel i can leave it for awhile i plan on tinkering with some odd combos and junkyard parts on another frame... may just build the next fad in buggies. you never know...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 pm 

I love Ur idea Passage but most well at least me thought that just doin a simple wire job on my buggy was overwelmin.. I could not imagine sitting down and figuring that rats nest ... Fab work good I will shoe horn that bitch in matchbox car. I believe most see the electrical side a nightmare... Unless u want to come here to pa....

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions