It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:52 pm 

I was curious if you can make or have them made ? instead of running cv joint s can u make a universal joints and what needs to be done to the tranny also ? are there any positve or negative effects on this

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 pm 

yes thay have a bolt on set bigscott has a set on his look in buggy builds under new stalker with turbo suby i think they are awsome but very pricey i think 1400 for the pair im working on a place that will make a set that will bolt on also for about 750 pair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm 

750 ??? how many sets do u want ????

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:15 pm 
Master fabricator

Don't want to take anything away from anyone but if it were that easy EVERYONE would be doing it. I considered running High Angle axles on mine, still haven't decided for sure. One major drawback is if you were to break the inner yoke or U joint you will beat the crap out of things until you get the car stopped. The manufacture suggests a hoop to contain the shaft by the trans should it break. The weak part in my opinion is the slip yoke and splines, the VW trailing arm set up requires a bunch plunge in the axle. I think this would be the first thing to mess up.

G
A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 pm 
WoodsBuggy Addict

MadMike wrote:
Don't want to take anything away from anyone but if it were that easy EVERYONE would be doing it. I considered running High Angle axles on mine, still haven't decided for sure. One major drawback is if you were to break the inner yoke or U joint you will beat the crap out of things until you get the car stopped. The manufacture suggests a hoop to contain the shaft by the trans should it break. The weak part in my opinion is the slip yoke and splines, the VW trailing arm set up requires a bunch plunge in the axle. I think this would be the first thing to mess up.

I agree with Mike, I was very interested in U-Joints until I saw the carnage created by the lack of slip in the yoke. On the Glamis website, you can find lots of pics of tranny and suspension parts ripped in half due to lack of movement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:41 pm 
WB Videographer

It's just a bad idea altogether, if you break a joint it usually renders the yoke useless, even with a hoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wGMaUMXUQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:12 pm 

i ran some till i built my first 2276 then i kept breaking the right outside joint as far as tearing other stuff up i never did but it could happen i still have guys running u joint axles but the biggest motor is a mild 1915 with 2x3 arms air bags 29 12.50 v treads these shafts were made from toyota truck rear driveshafts
maybe someone else can use this info i just went back to type 2 cv joints and have all 930 stuff here for the new buggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:22 pm 

well i guess im gonna just keep the cv's then seems like more hassel then its worth to convert them but thanks for all the advice

Board index » Tech and Fab » Transmissions